Friday, February 10, 2017

Reading Right Now! (102)

What I'm Reading Right Now! is...


--Flying (#1) by Carrie Jones-- Sadly, I'm not really enjoying this one so much. I picked it up based on the cute cover and synopsis. It's about a teenage girl who discovers her mother is an alien hunter. She gets into a fight with crazy tongue, acid spitting alien, and comes home to find her house trashed and her mom gone. She teams up with her mom's alien hunting partner, who she has never met before, in order to save her mother.
I thought this was going to be a cute, fun read. Fast-paced, full of action. And to an extent it is. I bet there are people out there who would really like this book.
My problems so far is that I don't really like the main character Mana. I find her really annoying. Things she says that are supposed to be funny just irritate me. She also doesn't act like a mature teenager, which is fine, because not all teenagers are mature, but because of that, I'm finding her hard to like and connect with. My other problem is that I feel like it took forever to get to the main action/journey part of the story. I'm 120ish pages in, and she's just finding out stuff about her mom. This book only has 249 pages, so that seems like an awful lot of time to spend on build-up.
If I was the type to quit reading a book, I would have probably quit reading this one by now. But I have that thing where once I start a book I'm compelled to finish it. 
This might be the perfect book for someone else, but so far, it's not turning out to be the book for me.

So that's what I'm Reading Right Now! What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment