Monday, October 23, 2017

Review: The Wild Adventure of Jasper Renn (#3.5) by Kady Cross


Title: The Wild Adventure of Jasper Renn (#3.5)
Author: Kady Cross
Published by: Harlequin TEEN
Released: 2013
Source: Library

Summary: Did you ever wonder where Jasper was during the events of The Girl With the Iron Touch? Then this novella is for you! While the others were turning London up and down searching for Emily, our fastest cowboy was helping out another friend.
Jasper's former friend, Wildcat, has come to town. She's searching for her sister, who she's afraid might be in danger or being taken advantage of. Because he's a gentleman, Jasper has to help, and maybe their flame will be rekindled.
My Thoughts: Well, that was something I read. I love this series, but I didn't particularly love this novella. In the grand scheme of things, it felt unneeded.
When reviewing/rating/judging novellas in series, my biggest question is: Did I gain anything important while reading this? Is it necessary to read this? Does it add any new information to the series overall? In this case, I don't think it is. I didn't really learn anything new, and the novella itself was just kind of ehh. I mean, if you love Jasper Renn, then sure, give this novella a read. But if you're not on the edge-of-your-seat wondering about his adventure, then it's okay to give this a skip.
This novella was just kind of meh for me. It's primary focus was on the attraction Jasper and Wildcat felt for each other. They'd already had a pre-existing thing going from Jasper's past, so there's really no relationship build-up. It's pretty much picking up things where they left off. So there's none of that magic of first glance attraction, chemistry, and build-up, because they've already had it. That kind of took some of the magic out of it for me.
The whole mission to find Wildcat's sister just felt so secondary. Didn't feel like they were rushing to find her.
I didn't really feel anything while reading this story. I wasn't caught up in their love parade. I wasn't blown away by the romance. It was fine, but it just wasn't gripping me.
I'm a big fan of Kady Cross's Steampunk Chronicles, so I don't regret reading this novella, but I don't think I would have missed anything if I hadn't read it. This is why I have such a complicated relationship with novellas in series. Sometimes they just feel like a way to make money instead of adding substance to the series. Just my two cents.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3/5
A Big, Old MEH.

No comments:

Post a Comment