Monday, December 19, 2016

Review: Eve (#1) by Anna Carey


Title: Eve (Eve #1)
Author: Anna Carey
Published by: Harper
Released: 2011
Source: Library

Summary: Eve lost her mother to a virus that wiped out 98% of the population. Eve was then taken to an all girls school where girls are trained in the arts and languages in order to become valued members and workers in the City of Sand. Eve is at the top of her class, and on the eve of her graduation ceremony. She can't wait to go to the building across the river where she will receive her four years of intensive training related to her field. 
One night, Eve peers into a window of that building across the river and discovers a dark and disturbing truth to what the future holds for her and the other girls. Eve escapes the Academy, and runs into the wilds of New America. In the wilds she fights to survive, learns the reality of this harsh world, and discovers what love really is. A thrilling start to a new dystopian/post-apocalyptic series by the talented Anna Carey.
My Thoughts: What a Great, Great Book! This book is one of the forgotten gems of the YA dystopian genre. It's a great book, full of action, adventure, and the thrill of first love placed in a very interesting and disturbing setting of New America. I just really enjoyed the whole journey this book took me on.
I really enjoyed the characters of this book. At first, I wasn't sure I was going to like Eve. She seemed like a teachers pet, good two-shoes type of character, but as the novel went on, and she escaped from the Academy, I really started to like her and fear for her more and more. I also liked the friendship journey between her and Arden.
I loved Caleb! He kind of became one of my YA Fiction crushes. He was such a good guy, so honorable, gentlemanly, and just a great guy for Eve to be with. The ending of this book just about killed me in the way things happened. Eve and Caleb are a great pair, they deserve to have the happiest ending this New America can provide for them.
I also really enjoyed the thought that went in to the teachings of this New America. Just the amount of brain washing and lies the Academy taught these girls. The whole class dedicated to not trusting and fearing men was fascinating. And watching Eve discover the truth was so good.
The emotion, the feels in this book were top notch. There were some scenes where I shed a tear, others where I was yelling at Eve to run or stop being an idiot, and still more scenes where I couldn't help saying AWWW. I just really loved the journey this book took me on and can't wait to read the rest of the trilogy so I can find out what happens to Eve, Arden, and Caleb.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
A Dystopian Gem!

No comments:

Post a Comment