Thursday, May 11, 2017

April Wrap-Up 2017!

I kind of forgot that I needed to post this after April ended. I don't know why. I won't say I had a super awesome reading month. I read six books, which is average. I liked the majority of them, but there were a couple that disappointed me. Here's everything I read in the month of April.

The Books

  
  

--The New Dead: A Zombie Anthology edited by Christopher Golden-- BOOKCITEMENT 4/5-This book was one I started a couple of months ago and ended up finishing in April. I really did enjoy it. I thought it was a good anthology. I love zombie anything, so this was just fun reading for me. Not every story was great, but the good stories outweighed the bad ones.

--Doubt 1 by Yoshiki Tonogai-- BOOKCITEMENT 4/5-- This was fun and kept me guessing. A very fast read, because it's a manga. I'm interested to see how it ends. It's not a long manga series, and that's kind of a relief. I thought I was smart, and had figured out the bad guy at the very beginning, but then was quickly proven wrong.

--Like A River Glorious (The Gold Seer Trilogy #2) by Rae Carson-- BOOKCITEMENT 3.5/5-- This sequel was disappointing to me. I really liked the first one, and this one fell a little flat.  My main problem was that I didn't like the preachy/lecture vibe it took on. I also didn't really enjoy the main character Lee/Leah in this one. I still am excited to see where the last one goes. And the covers are just so beautiful. I just can't stop staring at the cover.

--The New Hunger (Warm Bodies #1.5) by Isaac Marion-- BOOKCITEMENT 4.5/5-- This one was one of the wins of the month. I loved this! It was a great example of a novella done right. It added to the series, supplied additional information, and was actually offered as a printed book!!! 
I have problems with a majority of novellas, because they mainly feel like money grabs. Plus they almost always are only in e-book form. As a person who likes to read everything in the series, getting my hands on these ebooks, and paying the money for something I can only own in a digital format irks me. I'm a big fan of physical book copies. But that rant doesn't belong in this post.
This novella was fantastic. We got to see Nora, Julie, and R years before the events in Warm Bodies. My favorite story to follow was Nora's. Now I'm really excited to read the sequel that came out not too long ago.

--Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (#1) by Rosamund Hodge-- BOOKCITEMENT 2.5/5-- This was probably my least favorite of the month. I just found the whole thing very confusing and weird. It had a super confusing world that I never really understood. The characters of Runajo and Juliet just fell very flat for me too. The ending was this weird cliff-hanger thing. I just don't know about this one. Maybe I'll read the sequel if I'm in the mood. 

--Shadow House: The Gathering (#1) by Dan Poblocki-- BOOKCITEMENT 4.2/5-- My other favorite of the month is The Gathering! This was middle grade horror, and it was great! I thought it was pretty creepy. It had these pictures that just added the great, extra edge of scary/chilling. I really liked this and can't wait to read the second one. Middle Grade is something I read only occasionally, but usually, I really enjoy it.



The T.V.


I finished one television show this month, or Netflix show if you want to get technical, and that was Luke Cage! I enjoyed this one a lot. I really liked Luke Cage when I watched Jessica Jones, so I kind of knew I would like the show centered on his character. I think Luke Cage makes a really good hero, and he's fun to watch. His show was better than The Iron Fist, in my opinion. I can't wait to see everybody come together in The Defenders mash-up thing that is going to happen. I think they've released a trailer, but I haven't watched it yet. I also haven't watched Daredevil, which I probably should do.
But yes, I think Luke Cage is an entertaining hero to watch. I love his power of being impervious to harm, because it just looks so cool in fights. Although, I didn't love the relationship that developed between him and the nurse. I like Luke with Jessica Jones. so that's the relationship I'm rooting for. I'd recommend giving Luke Cage a watch!

So that was my April. How was yours? Let me know in the comments below.

**All book cover images are from www.goodreads.com and all other images are through google image searches**

No comments:

Post a Comment