Thursday, June 29, 2017

Review: Buzz Kill by Beth Fantaskey


Title: Buzz Kill
Author: Beth Fantaskey
Published by: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Released: 2014
Source: Library

Summary: When football coach "Hollerin' Hank" Killdare turns up dead, it's up to Millie Ostermeyer to solve the case. She's read plenty of Nancy Drew books, so she's got the experience, she also has a full house of suspects. "Hollerin' Hank" Killdare didn't get his nickname for being a chill guy. 
The case gets more urgent when evidence starts pointing to Millie's father as the killer. Sure her dad might not have liked Hank, but he didn't kill him. 
Millie's got a whole list of suspects, including the mysterious star quarterback who just recently transferred to her school. Solving this crime will be easy.
My Thoughts: This was fun. I liked it. It's not a gritty crime thriller, but more like a light weight who-done-it. It was entertaining, easy to read, and just a fun time.
At first, I wasn't so sure how much I was going to like it. Millie is one of those characters that treads the fine line of like versus annoyance. She's very high energy, which exhausts me. She's also very impulsive, which I think worked against her as it came to investigating and staying safe while solving the crime. I didn't hate Millie, but I definitely couldn't be around her 24/7.
Another thing that I wasn't sure I liked or hated was the set-up of the book. It had the shortest chapters I've ever seen, and cliff-hangers at the end of each chapter. On the one hand, that really makes you want to fly through the book, on the other hand, it's annoying when a chapter is only a page long.
As for the mystery, it was pretty good. If I hadn't spoiled myself by randomly flipping to a page near the end, I would have been surprised.
My favorite part of the book would have to be the relationship that forms in it. It was cute! It also gives imaginary hope to all average girls hoping to land a hot guy. 
I thought this book was a lot of fun. It was a diversion that was quick and entertaining. I'd recommend it if you're looking for an entertaining read.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5
Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment