Thursday, August 24, 2017

Review: Lies I Told (Lies I Told #1) by Michelle Zink


Title: Lies I Told (Lies I Told #1)
Author: Michelle Zink
Published by: Harper Teen
Released: 2015
Source: Library

Summary: To anyone else, Grace's family looks normal. A mother, a father, a brother, and a sister. They show up in town, they have money and good clothes, but they also have a secret.
Grace and her family are con artists, grifters. She and her brother Parker were adopted by Cormac and Renee to play out the best cons. The family scopes out their victims, gets close to them, steals their valuables, and then moves on to another place.
Playa Hermosa is the place of the next job, and it's a big one. Grace's job is to get close to Logan Fairchild and his friends. Grace is having more trouble with this con though, her conscience is starting to bug her, and she's developing feelings for her mark. Is Grace destined to lead a life of crime or can she be something else?
My Thoughts: Not bad, not bad. I love stories about criminals, heists, and questionable characters. I love reading about characters who are doing wrong things, but I end up rooting for them anyway. I just find stories like this to be a lot of fun.
I did have a weird reading journey with Lies I Told. I was reading it during the holiday season, and was just reading it very slowly. There was nothing wrong with the book, I just don't think I was in the reading mood at the time. That slumpiness probably had an effect on my enjoyment and reading, but I managed to get over my slumpiness eventually, and devoured the rest of the book.
I just found the whole concept very interesting. It kind of had the slight feel of the TV show Revenge and the TV show Leverage.
I found the parents kind of despicable most of the time, because they only adopted these kids to further their cons. That's just not right. I also appreciated Grace's struggle with the life she's been brought into. She doesn't want to be bad, but she feels this gratefulness for her adoptive parents. She also knows what she's doing is wrong, but she still does it. It's an interesting conundrum. 
The story really hit its high point for me in the middle. The action started to pick up and I had to race to the end to see what would happen. And what an ending! What's going to happen next? I must know.
I enjoyed this book. If you like stories about cons and criminals, then I would definitely recommend it. I will be checking out the sequel ASAP.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.8/5
What A Heist!

No comments:

Post a Comment