Friday, September 2, 2016

Reading Right Now! (81)

What I'm Reading Right Now! is...

 
(It's the same book, Goodreads just has the covers weird. The folder is on the outside and the Shadows in the Asylum font peeks through the black space in my physical copy. I just wanted you guys to get the full affect)

--Shadows in the Asylum: The Case Files of Dr. Charles Marsh by D.A. Stern- I saw this book on AmandainPA 's youtube channel. I really like her channel. She reads a lot of great thrillers and mysteries that I want after having seen them on her channel. This was one of those books. I'd never even heard of it before she talked about it. Apparently, this author also wrote The Blair Witch Project, which I'm intrigued by. I think the book came out after the movie, but don't quote me. I also was just eehh on The Blair Witch Project movie, mainly because I found the main girl character to be super annoying. Anyway, that's not what this is even about.
So this book is about a therapist named Charles Marsh who is treating this patient named Kari Hansen. Kari is suffering from extreme and debilitating delusions, where shadow people are always after her and just about to get her. Dr. Marsh starts looking into her past, when her breakdown and problems occurred, and starts getting wrapped up in her story. It seems to involve ancient Native American myth and creatures.
The major selling point of this story, for me at least, is that it is told entirely in emails, documents, transcripts, journal entries and picture forms. It has the coolest set-up ever. Visually, it is the most awesome thing to flip through. Because not only is it in document form, it looks like the documents are right in front of you. Papers stained with coffee, pages folded, darkenings from photocopied pages. It just adds that extra oomph, of this is cool and so much fun to read.
I'm definitely enjoying it. I'm getting more pulled into the story at this point. It hasn't scared me yet, but we will see. I don't know if I'm the most easily-scared when it comes to books. Movies can scare me without even trying, even a clown in the woods picture, slightly out of focus, can cause me to have trouble sleeping, but books really have to be freaky to get me freaked out.
So, I hope to read this one and get farther in it this weekend. Maybe finish and move onto something else.

If I do finish, I would like to get to these books next...

 

-- Wytches: Volume 1 (issues #1-6) by Scott Snyder and others- This is a horror comic book and it looks pretty creepy. All the artwork inside is pretty dark toned, and I'm thinking that's what the story is going to be like too.
-- Bluescreen (Mirador #1) by Dan Wells- I am a fan of Dan Wells, ever since I read his I Am Not A Serial Killer series, so I want to read more by him, and this one looks good. I still need to read his Partials sequence, but I'll get to that eventually.

So that's what I'm Reading Right Now! for this Labor Day weekend. What are you Reading? Let me know in the comments below. And if you've read any of these books, tell me what you thought of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment