Monday, September 19, 2016

Review: Vengeance Bound by Justina Ireland


Title: Vengeance Bound
Author: Justina Ireland
Published by: Simon & Schuster BFYR
Released: 2013
Source: Library

Summary: One dark night, when Amelie feared for her life, she invited in the Furies. She took her revenge on those who had wronged her, but the Furies deal with her wasn't done. She's been possessed by the Furies, compelled to carry out their work of punishing the wicked, which turns out to mainly be men. Forced to change her name and leave everything she knew behind, Amelie, now Cory, decides that she needs to keep hold of her humanity by going to high school. She's starting to slip with the Furies, their needs have become her needs, and she's afraid that she eventually won't be human at all. The urge to hunt consumes her, but she just wants to be a normal girl.
My Thoughts: What I liked about this was the cover, (just look and appreciate it for a bit) and the concept, everything else was just meh.
The whole idea of being possessed by The Furies was kind of cool to contemplate. The Furies were vicious, they wanted to punish ALLLL the men. This book had the vibes of I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells and maybe also Dexter, but there was something just off about it at the same time.
I never really got the main character Amelie/Cory. It seemed like she wanted to fight and free herself from this possession, but she was weak at sticking to that. It seemed like she didn't really want to exert the effort to try. She liked playing the poor little old me card a lot, which didn't really make me like her character. It was also hard to pinpoint exactly who she was. It seemed like she was always putting on an act. Even though I knew I was supposed to, I couldn't really sympathize with her character, I definitely never liked her character. She was just too all-over-the-place for me.
I liked Niko. He was a cool guy. Attractive and what-not.
I did enjoy the ending of the book. That had a little bit of a satisfying zing to it.
This book was just an eeh for me. I didn't really love it, didn't find myself speeding through it to witness the ending. The concept I liked, I just wish it could have been a story I enjoyed more.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3/5
Cool Concept, Meh Story.

No comments:

Post a Comment