Monday, September 12, 2016

Review: The Cage (The Cage #1) by Megan Shepherd

Title: The Cage (The Cage #1)
Author: Megan Shepherd
Published by: Balzer + Bray
Released: 2015
Source: Library

Summary: Cora wakes up in the middle of the desert, turns and sees the mountains, turns again and sees the ocean. Where is she? One minute, she was riding in the car with her brother, the next she's here in this desert. Her first discovery is a dead body on the beach, the next is a boy named Lucky. Turns out, there are four other teens in this strange place, a place that's definitely not Earth. Cora and the other teens have become an experiment, captured by aliens, and placed in a type of human zoo. Cora is determined to escape and get back home. She's hoping to convince her alien captor to help her.
My Thoughts: I love Megan Shepherd's The Madman's Daughter trilogy, and I vowed to read whatever else she decides to write. So, The Cage was next on my list to read. Megan Shepherd didn't disappoint me with The Cage, but The Madman's Daughter Trilogy still remains as my favorite.
The Cage was weird, that's the best way I can describe my feelings for it. The general plot reminded me of a dream I had once, a strange, strange dream. 
Cora was placed in a no-win situation. The human zoo wasn't a fun place to be, especially with all the inhabitants kind of losing their minds, but escape didn't seem plausible to me. She's been captured by aliens, so it might be kind of hard, impossible really, to get back to Earth. But I applaud Cora's determination to try, no matter that I'm pretty sure she's stuck in alien land forever.
The other thing that made this book weird was Cora's attraction to her alien caretaker. I didn't get that. I didn't find anything attractive about the Caretaker, and it was weird seeing Cora be so attracted to him. I was more Team Lucky, because he was human, and not a metal skinned, black-eyed thing.
So, I enjoyed this, kind of. It was such a weird read for me. I liked it because it was Megan Shepherd, it was a fast-read, and I was curious to see what would happen next, but it was so, so weird. I'm definitely interested in checking out the sequel, because that ending wasn't really an ending. If you're looking for something different, then I would recommend it, but be ready for the strange.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5
Strange

No comments:

Post a Comment