Thursday, September 29, 2016

Review: A Thousand Nights (#1) by E.K. Johnston

Title: A Thousand Nights (#1)
Author: E.K. Johnston
Published by: Hyperion
Released: October 2015
Source: Library

Summary: To be married to Lo-Melkhin is to be given a death sentence. He has been married 300 times before, and all 300 wives have ended up dead. Some survive just one night, others a few weeks, and very rarely will one live more than a month. Lo-Melkhin travels from village to village picking out wives, and this is the time he travels to hers. She knows he'll pick her sister, she is the prettiest of the tribe, and losing her would hurt everyone, so she decides to take her sister's place. The impossible happens, she survives one month, then two, then three. She also discovers secrets about Lo-Melkhin. She might be the one to end his vicious cycle once and for all.
My Thoughts: This book was very different from what I was expecting, but very enjoyable. It has a lyrical, magical writing style to it. There's just something about it that keeps you reading. It's almost like the magic that permeates the story seeps out, and entraps the reader as well. It's a very unique experience.
I was interested from page one, and couldn't wait to see how our main character would survive and change a kingdom in the process.
For those that are all about finding diverse books, or reading only diverse books, I think this one would meet the criteria. I'm the type of reader that loves to read anything and everything, I'm not going to throw a book aside just based on the race of the main characters. I think that's silly in all the extremes, but I know diversity has been a major topic lately, so I'm putting it out there that this book has diverse characters.
I really did enjoy this one. I won't say it's my favorite of favorites, but it was sort of a refreshing, different read. It was a unique and interesting experience. It's a book that doesn't scream YA, which can be refreshing from time to time. I'd definitely give it a read, it was good.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5
Mystical and Magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment