Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Around The Year In 52 Books: Week 38

WEEK 38:
A NOVEL INSPIRED BY A WORLD OF CLASSIC LITERATURE


PROGRESS POST

What are you reading this week? I'm reading Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (#1) by Rosamund Hodge.

What classic inspired this book? This book was inspired, or at least takes aspects from Shakespeare's classic Romeo and Juliet.

Have you read that classic? Did you purposely choose a book inspired by a classic you've already read? I might have read parts of Romeo and Juliet in high school. No, I picked up Bright Smoke, Cold Fire because I was interested in reading it, and then looked to see if it would fit any of the Around the Year challenge prompts.

Did you think your choice was a good reinvention/representation of that classic? I guess it was good enough. I don't remember a lot from Romeo and Juliet. In all honesty, I'm not really a fan of Shakespeare. I found most of his plays confusing in high school, and it probably didn't help that I had to read them for assignments. Whenever I'm forced to read something, it's always a struggle, and I rarely end up liking it. 
I guess what this book incorporated is the two young lovers from families that hate each other, and how their story is kind of doomed from the start. Bright Smoke, Cold Fire took those elements and made something interesting and imaginative.

So that's what I'm reading for this week, what about you? Check out the challenge here!

No comments:

Post a Comment