Monday, March 14, 2016

Review: The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Steampunk Chronicles #0.5) by Kady Cross


Title: The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Steampunk Chronicles #0.5)
Author: Kady Cross
Published by: Harlequin Teen
Released: May 2011
Summary: In this prequel to The Girl in the Steel Corset/Steampunk Chronicles, we get a taste of what Finley Jayne was up to before meeting up with Griffin and the gang. 
Finley Jayne is not a normal girl, she has darkness that resides in her, along with a hidden strength. After being fired for making a governess eat her own teeth, Finley is jobless and reference letter-less. It's disappointing, but Finley is on the hunt for a new job. Unexpectedly, a new job comes to her. Lady Morton needs a companion for her recently engaged daughter. Finley thinks this job might not be what it seems, but the money's good and she takes it. There is something fishy about Phoebe Morton's fiancé. Finley's dark side might be the only thing that can save Phoebe.
My Thoughts: Yayy for being pleasantly surprised! I'm always a little leery of e-novellas. I never know if they are actually going to be worth the time to read. Will they really add anything to the series? I might have a prejudice on e-novellas because a.) I think they can be unnecessary ways to drag out a series, b.) they bother the OCD reader mindset that I have about reading all the books in a series in order, c.) I would much rather have a physical book than an e-only novella, and d.) they just seem like an unneeded way to make more money. So yeah, I have reasons.
The Strange Case of Finley Jayne was a pleasant surprise. It's a prequel to the Steampunk Chronicles and shows what Finley was up to before the events in the first book. This was a solid prequel. It had a beginning, middle, and an end. We got to experience how tough Finley really is.
I also just really enjoy the Steampunk genre. It's fun, and just gives an intriguing alternate history.
Based on my experience with this novella, I will definitely be reading the other two novellas in the series. One is about Jack Dandy. I love Jack Dandy! 
This is a great prequel for fans or newbies to the Steampunk Chronicles by Kady Cross. I definitely recommend giving it a read. And if you don't want to spend money on an e-book, check to see if your local library carries it through their e-book/Overdrive App. The only ways I pretty much get e-books is through Overdrive, or when they are free. But this e-novella is definitely not a waste of time for fans of the series.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
A+ for this prequel!

No comments:

Post a Comment