Saturday, May 7, 2016

Reading Right Now! (64)

What I'm Reading Right Now! are the same books that I was reading last week. I'm not as quick of a reader as I like to think I am. So instead of going over all the same books, I'm just going to tell you what I hope to, would love to, finish this weekend. Don't know if it will happen, but I'm going to try.
So, here's what I'm Reading Right Now!

 

--The Girl in 6E by A.R. Torre-- I'm about 70% through this one-- I believe that I can realistically finish this one this weekend. I'm enjoying it so far, it's very quick and addicting. It is also incredibly weird. This cam girl lifestyle is super strange. I now know more about sexual fetishes than I ever wanted to. Deanna is also such a strange character. At first, I thought she was 100% delusional, that she wouldn't actually try to kill anyone, but then I saw how crazy she really was. I'm still on the fence about how I feel about her. I've read books with questionable characters before, characters that thought they were destined to become killers, characters that had fantasies about killing. One of my favorites comes from I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells, named John Wayne Cleaver. He freaked me out, but I liked him at the same time. Deanna is not on the level of John Wayne Cleaver yet.
So yes, I'm excited to see how this one plays out. I'm probably, definitely, going to pick up the other books in the series. So far, it has been a very fast read. 
--The Uninvited by Cat Winters-- I'm about 49% through this one-- This one I hope to finish this weekend too. It's been a very quick read as well. I am also torn on the main character in this one. Ivy Rowan doesn't seem to have any real plans, which bothers me. It's 1918, she's an unmarried, single woman with no income or job. She leaves home and has no real place to go. She jumps into a relationship after she's known the man for one day, and it's partly out of guilt. I just don't understand her. She jumps from one thing to the next, and I just sit there, scratching my head. It's not a bad book, I'm just not the biggest fan of the main character. 
One thing that I've been enjoying is the historical vibe of the novel. I had no idea of all the anti-German hate that occurred around the time of WWI, that's just something you never hear of. I mean, history tends to acknowledge the hatred that happened towards the Jews, the Irish, the Native Americans, the African Americans, the Japanese, but you don't hear about other races that endured the same. All hate is wrong. So it was interesting to have that be illuminated for me while reading this book. Maybe it hit me extra hard because I have a lot of German ancestry. My Mom's Grandpa came from Germany when he was 19, and I bet he talked a lot like Daniel. History man, sometimes it can be so cool.

So that's what I'm Reading Right Now! What are you reading? Let me know in the comments below. If you've read any of these reads, tell me how you liked them. And that's all I've got for this post. Ashley out.

No comments:

Post a Comment