Thursday, May 5, 2016

Review: Dead of Night (#1) by Jonathan Maberry


Title: Dead of Night (#1)
Author: Jonathan Maberry
Published by: St. Martin's Griffin
Released: 2011
Summary: Stebbins, Pennsylvania thought the only thing they had to deal with today was a hurricane, but they were wrong. This day will turn into one of the most horrific days in Stebbins' history, the world's history. It all starts when a prison doctor injects a lethal, parasitic bioweapon into a death row inmate moments before his execution. It could have ended there, with the body of the inmate being buried on prison grounds, but instead the body gets shipped out to Stebbins' County Funeral Home, and the rest is history. Officers Dez Fox and J.T. Hammond thought they were responding to a simple break in, but when a murdered cleaning lady rises up and tries to bite Dez, they know they are not in for normal. Stebbins County has become the starting point for a zombie plague that the world has never witnessed before. Lock your doors and hold on tight. 
My Thoughts: I always enjoy Jonathan Maberry's zombie novels. They are so quick, full of action, and characters that I really root for. When I see Jonathan Maberry's name on a book, I know that I'm in for a wild ride. I even enjoy books Jonathan Maberry has blurbed. Obviously, it was no surprise that I picked this up and very much enjoyed it.
This novel is so fast-paced and full of action. The zombies are terrifying, and the science behind them is fascinating. Picturing these zombies with their wounds and black goo was extremely easy to picture. I love how it pretty much takes place in a 24 hour period. It is amazing how things can go to heck in that short of a time period.
I was okay with the characters. Sometimes Dez got on my nerves and I wanted to yell at her, but most of the time I was rooting for Dez, J.T., and Billy Trout to all make it out alive.
This book was a super enjoyable, full of intense action and some crazy, tearjerker moments. The ending was crazy, and I must check out the sequel to see what happens to the world next. All I really know is, it probably won't be pleasant. A great zombie read and I totally recommend it to zombie lovers.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
These Zombies Are Terrifying!

No comments:

Post a Comment