Monday, January 23, 2017

Review: The Girl in 6E (Deanna Madden #1) by A.R. Torre


Title: The Girl In 6E (Deanna Madden #1)
Author: A.R. Torre
Published by: Redhook Books
Released: 2014
Source: Library

Summary: Deanna Madden has gone to extremes to keep the world safe... from herself. She is plagued by dark thoughts, dark fantasies. She feels the urge to kill, any person she comes across is in danger.
To protect the public at large, she keeps herself locked in her apartment day and night. She hasn't been outside for three years. The way she survives is through the internet. All her living needs are ordered online and delivered to her door. She also makes her living online, working as one of the most popular cam girls.
All is going well, until she stumbles across a disturbing client, a client who has a fixation with someone named Annie. What if the only one who can save Annie is Deanna?
My Thoughts: Well, that was something. I'd heard about this on booktube and wanted to check it out for myself because of all the high praise it was receiving. I knew going into it that it was going to be adult, and it is very adult. **WARNING--MATURE CONTENT AHEAD! NOT A BOOK FOR THE YOUNGER AUDIENCE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.***
I can say that I mostly enjoyed it. It was a very quick read, very interesting and addicting. I was a little weirded out at it at times. All in all, I was intrigued. I was very weirded out at the cam girl lifestyle bits. All of the sexual fetishes were just weird to me. I don't travel to that dark, dark internet place, so it's something that I just found kind of shocking. I'm not putting those people down, or on a shame list or anything, but that stuff is just not for me. I also found this kind of embarrassing to read in public. If there was even a chance of anybody looking over my shoulder, the book would be shut tight.
I also found Deanna kind of strange. I didn't understand her. I didn't understand why her dark, murderous thoughts suddenly appeared. 
One thing that frustrated me, but at the same time I appreciated, was Deanna's overblown belief in her talents. It was frustrating, because I always want the main character to be kick-butt and be a bad-a$$ hero. I appreciated it because it was realistic. Deanna is a lady who spends all her time locked in her apartment. She doesn't have superhuman strength, she barely works out. Deanna was completely unrealistic in thinking she could take out all these people. Reality came and smacked her in the face a couple of times.
My one other issue was that I felt with all the build-up to Deanna going after this murderer, the actual confrontation felt very anti-climatic. It was over very quickly. The battle wasn't the epicness that I wanted. And the ending of the story just kind of petered out. I just felt like all this build-up with a subpar climax.
I did like how quick this was. It was very addictive to read and went by very fast. I also liked Jeremy.
This was fun to read. I definitely want to check out the other books in the series. It was also very strange.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5
Well, That Was Something.

No comments:

Post a Comment