Friday, February 26, 2016

Reading Right Now! (#54)

New week, new reads. This week's Reading Right Now! is...

  

- The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse #1) by Cassandra Rose Clarke: I'm at the halfway point in this book and am really enjoying it. It's about a Pirate Princess named Ananna, who runs away from an arranged marriage. The groom's family sends an assassin after her. When the assassin catches up to her, the tables turn. Suddenly the assassin, Naji, is tethered to Ananna through an Impossible Curse. They are now unwilling partners in travel and must find a way to break the curse. I love pirates, so I was sold once I read that. This book so far is fun. It reminds me a little bit of reading a Tamora Pierce book. There is magic, a tough pirate girl, and a mysterious assassin. Really liking this so far and I think I'll finish it quickly.

- Missing Pieces by Heather Gudenkauf (Netgalley): This is my Netgalley read for the week. Thank you Netgalley and the Publisher for approving me! As I've said before, I want to do better on my Netgalley reads and get my review percentage up to an acceptable, non-embarrassing level. This book, I believe, is a thriller. I'm only 11% of the way through, so I'm not very far in, but it seems to be about a wife who finds out some dark secrets about her husband's family. I'm liking it so far. I'm interested to see what's going to happen. I already have suspicions about some people.

- Razorhurst by Justine Larbalestier: I just started this one too. I'm probably only 5% in, but I'm thinking there's a high chance I'll really like this one. It's a historical novel with a paranormal twist, talking about the Razor Gangs that prowled the streets of Surry, Australia in the 1920's. From what little I've learned, guns were outlawed so crooks took to carrying razor blades and carving each other up with them. Being in these kinds of gangs carried with it the risk of marring up their faces. Some men would walk the streets with L and X shaped razor scars on their faces, and they were the lucky ones that survived. It sounds terrifying. There have already been some pretty scary visuals in the book. I think our main character is named Kelpie and she can see ghosts, so ghosts play a part in this novel too. I'm really excited for it. I think I'm going to like it. There are only 197 goodreads reviews on this, which I find sort of surprising. Can't wait to read more of this!

Still Reading

- Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer: Still slowly going through this one. I only read a story here and there. Still haven't fallen head over heels with any of the stories yet, but they are kind of interesting.

So that's what I'm Reading Right Now! Tell me what you are reading in the comments below. If you've read any of the books I've mentioned, tell me what you thought of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment