Thursday, February 18, 2016

Review: Blackhearted Betrayal (Shades of Fury #3) by Kasey Mackenzie


Title: Blackhearted Betrayal (Shades of Fury #3)
Author: Kasey Mackenzie
Published by: Ace Books by The Berkley Publishing Group
Released: 2012
Summary: After catching a serial killer, Marissa Holloway thought she'd have a little rest and relaxation, instead she's pulled in to a major situation. With Fury politics in turmoil and a lesser god causing unnecessary mayhem in the Underworld, Riss is pulled in to a battle she can't turn down. Riss accepts a task from the gods to hunt down the problem using all her kick butt Fury skills. The fate of the world rests on Riss's shoulders, so no pressure or anything.
My Thoughts: As a big fan of Red Hot Fury, the first book in the Shades of Fury Series, I was excited to get my hands on and read Blackhearted Betrayal. Marissa Holloway is just a really fun, kick butt character, who just happens to be a Fury. I was a tad disappointed by the second book and I hoped Blackhearted Betrayal would give me the same thrills that the first book had. In the end, I just found Blackhearted Betrayal to be an okay read.
The Shades of Fury series is a fun, fast-paced urban fantasy read that is super enjoyable. I love the cover designs and the cool world created by Mackenzie, with its mix of mortals, gods, and various creatures.
Blackhearted Betrayal was just sort of a blah book for me. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood to read it, but I just didn't feel that same magic that the first book provided. Blackhearted Betrayal is full of action from first page to last. It was very fast-paced and almost reminded me of a one hour television show, in the sense that everything got wrapped up neatly just in time for the next episode. Maybe my problem was that all that action took away from being able to spend time and appreciate the characters. I think I like Riss and her gang more when they're on the mortal realm dealing with more mortal problems. I really don't know how to put into words what's lacking or missing in this story. All I can say is that no book in the series has managed to capture the magic of the first one.
Now, I'm not hating on this book. I really enjoy the series and I highly recommend it to people who love a good urban fantasy adventure. When the next one comes out, I'll read it.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3/5
Just an okay read. Didn't love it, Didn't hate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment