Monday, February 29, 2016

Review: Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman


Title: Vengeance Road
Author: Erin Bowman
Published by: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Released: 2015
Summary: When Kate's Pa is murdered, she vows vengeance. Her father was murdered for a journal, revealing the location to a secret gold mine. Revenge is burning in Kate's blood and she tracks the gang to Arizona. Along the way, she is joined by the Colton brothers and an Apache girl. Kate won't stop until the men who killed her Pa are dead. The gold doesn't even matter, all that does is ending the mens' lives who ruined hers. Kate is no fainting flower, the Rose gang is going to be sorry they messed with her.
My Thoughts: I feel like running through the hills in happiness a la Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music. I'd look ridiculous, but it would fully capture how I feel after reading this book. I loved this. I loved how Western it really was. I was kind of expecting a watered-down, YA Western, but figured out it was the real deal a few pages in. I loved the twists and turns, how tough Kate was, and how you could really feel Kate's thirst for revenge. I'm a fan.
My thoughts on the romance are that I liked it, but did feel that it kind of popped up a little unexpectedly, intensity wise in the end. I liked Jesse from the first scene he showed up in, I liked Kate and Jesse together riding the trails, and I wanted them together. I mean, I knew they would eventually, it just kind of felt rushed in the end after the slow sort of build up.
I loved how brutal this was. Kate wasn't playing games about getting her revenge. She was tough. There were a lot of shocking scenes in here and gunfights galore that entertained me.
The twists and turns in this one were also great. Some things happened that I definitely didn't expect.
So, this book was awesome! Loved it from the first page until the last. An exciting, Western tale with gunfights, gold, and revenge. This is a definite favorite for the year and I'm gonna have to check out some more stuff by Erin Bowman. Just a lot of brutal fun.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 5/5
Yee-Haw!

No comments:

Post a Comment