Thursday, February 25, 2016

Review: Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone by Kat Rosenfield


Title: Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone
Author: Kat Rosenfield
Published by: Dutton Books
Released: 2012
Summary: Becca is tired of small town life and can't wait to graduate and go to college, leaving the town and its gossip behind. The summer after graduation and before college, the town is gripped by a real life murder mystery. A girl is found dead on the side of the road, with no name and no idea of how she got there. The town explodes with gossip, and Becca's life starts to fall apart. She questions her choices, her future, and the story of who this dead girl really is and what happened to her. Just what is Amelia Anne's story?
My Thoughts: I was very excited to see this book at my library and couldn't wait to read it. The story sounded very creepy and mysterious, plus the cover was just so pretty, but alas, I didn't really end up loving this book. It was a kind of disappointing read that I had to trudge my way through. My main problem was the writing style, which made it difficult to appreciate the story underneath.
The writing style was just very vivid and descriptive. It was filled with metaphors, smilies, and paragraphs upon paragraphs of description. I first thought the writing style was very pretty and lyrical, but the farther I read in the book, the more difficult and annoying it became. The writing style really hindered my enjoyment of the overall story, which was an interesting story, and I ended up having to force myself through it so I could find out how it ended. It really just felt that the author put too much emphasis on style and tangents over details that took away from the story.
I did enjoy the chapters from Amelia Anne's point of view, because I was really interested in finding out how she ended up dead on the side of the road.
Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone did not turn out to be my kind of read. Other people might love it, but unfortunately, I wasn't one of those people. I highly suggest that if you want to read it, then do. My review is just my own opinion, so don't let me stop you from reading something you might love.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3/5
Style over Story.

No comments:

Post a Comment