Saturday, April 2, 2016

Reading Right Now! (59)

I contemplated not even posting a Reading Right Now! this week because I'm still reading the same book as last week, but then I caved and decided to post one anyway.
So, what I'm Reading Right Now! is...

Title: The Dark Days Club (Lady Helen #1)
Author: Alison Goodman
I've got less than 100 pages to go. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but it still seems so far away.

What do I say about my situation here, what do I say? I think this might be the case of overhyping on the social medias. I was so excited to see this, start this, and read this. The farther I go in it, the more I feel like I'm struggling and dragging myself to the finish line. I DON'T hate this book though, I just want to make that clear, but it's definitely not going to be a 5 star read for me. Right now it's leaning more to a 3.5 star book. The main problem I'm having with this is that it's such a slow read. I was okay with that in the beginning because I thought it was going to be a slow build up sort of situation. I was sure once the demon-hunting situation got introduced, I would just fly through the rest of the book. That didn't happen, the story has just stayed really slow. I'm not hating on it, but this isn't going to be my favorite read of 2016 either.
This book is set in 1812 Regency England and revolves around a girl named Helen, who discovers her destiny is more than just attending parties and making a good marriage. She is part of the Dark Days Club, a group with the task of ridding evil from the world. Demon's walk among us, feeding off of us, and only the Dark Days Club can recognize them and get rid of them.

When I finally finish The Dark Days Club, I hope to move on to these two books... maybe.
 
-- Slasher Girls & Monster Boys Edited by April Genevieve Tucholke: This is coming up due at the library and I really want to read it. I love scary stories, so I'm hoping that this is good. It also has stories from some authors that I really like, so we'll see how it goes.
-- Day 21 (The 100 Book 2) by Kass Morgan: Love Love Love The 100 television adaptation and enjoyed the first book in the series when I read it. The show and books are completely different, and I kind of enjoy both of them for that. It's interesting to see how the same idea, same background story, can be interpreted and go in such different ways. I also have the third book currently checked out from my library and I'm not sure how long I'll get to keep it, or if I'll be able to renew it without someone else putting it on hold.

So that's what I'm Reading Right Now! Tell me what you're Reading Right Now! in the comments below. I always like talking books.

No comments:

Post a Comment