Monday, April 25, 2016

Review: The Conspiracy of Us (The Conspiracy of Us #1) by Maggie Hall


Title: The Conspiracy of Us (The Conspiracy of Us #1)
Author: Maggie Hall
Published by: G.P. Putnam's Sons
Released: 2014
Summary: Avery never stays in one place for long. Her Mom's job involves frequent moves to various states and small towns. Avery has learned to not get attached to people or things. She's always had questions about her mysterious father and his family. Then Avery's dream comes true, she learns that her family is part of a secret society that practically rules the world. This family is also on the hunt for The One, the girl with the violet eyes, and a hidden tomb. Objects and people that are said to change the world. Avery becomes embroiled in this hunt to save her friends and maybe even herself.
My Thoughts: This was what I wanted, and yet, not everything that I wanted. I found the premise to be something really interesting, something that I enjoyed reading about. Secret societies, powerful families, epic treasure hunts - They all just call my name, but for whatever reason, this book and I just never formed that awesome connection. I still had fun reading it though, and do want to see how the sequel turns out.
I didn't feel like this story had a real beginning. I kind of felt like I got dropped into an ongoing thing. I also felt kind of lost through the first half of the book. Avery was going on this grand adventure and I didn't really know why. she didn't even know why. Avery jumped into an unknown situation and I didn't get why. It seemed like she abandoned common sense, and she didn't seem like the type of girl who would do that.
I just felt there was something lacking in the story that kept me from really connecting. Part of that could be because I felt lost, in the dark, as to what was happening, and what the ultimate goal was.
I'm not sure how I feel about the romance either. I like Jack, but there's something about Stellan that just makes him more interesting. Stellan is the guy I might be rooting for.
I did really enjoy the premise/idea for the story. That was what kept me reading and why I'll probably continue on with the next book.
All in all, I'm mixed on this one. I liked it, but at the same time, felt something was missing, off. So, I liked reading it, but never fell in love with the story. It's a weird feeling to have, not being able to put my finger on just why I never 100% connected. The sequel will be on my TBR though. I'm interested to find out what will happen next.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5
Fun Premise

No comments:

Post a Comment