Thursday, April 28, 2016

Review: Hemlock (Hemlock #1) by Kathleen Peacock


Title: Hemlock
Author: Kathleen Peacock
Published by: Katherine Tegen Books
Released: 2012
Summary: Mackenzie Dobson's life turned upside down when her best friend Amy got murdered by a white werewolf. Ever since the U.S. Government had announced the existence of werewolves and Lupine Syndrome, humans have lived in fear, and those infected have lived in hiding. Mac decides that the only way Amy's ghost will stop haunting her dreams, is to find and catch the werewolf responsible. Mac experiences more danger and deception than she expected, and she is pulled between two boys in the process. Full of action, romance, danger, and werewolves: Hemlock is a fantastic read and great start to a series.
My Thoughts: I really, really loved this book. When I started this at the last week of April, I had really been having a ho-hum reading month. Every book that I had read was just okay, but didn't have that magic about it. Hemlock grabbed me right from page one with the danger, gore, and premise. It was such a quick, fun read. I enjoyed the world, Mack, Jason, Kyle, and just really everything.
There were times when I was conflicted about what side to be on. I could see where the fear from humans came from, and at the same time, I could feel the unjustness placed upon those infected. It didn't take me a very long time to become pro-werewolf though.
The Trackers and Branson Derby were really good enemies, and they were believable in that world context. They were despicable, in that they posed as serving the greater good and protecting humanity, when really, they were hate-filled, vigilante groups.
My only peeve would be the love triangle aspect. It always feels just too convenient and unrealistic when every male character falls in love with the heroine. But I definitely like both boys and am conflicted as to which boy should be with her.
So yeah, throughly enjoyed every second of this book and can't wait to get my hands on the sequel. For readers who love a good urban fantasy, give this one a shot, cause it just might be that book you need to get out of a reading rut.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4.5/5
A Howling Good Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment