Saturday, March 9, 2013

Review of: The Peculiars by Maureen Doyle McQuerry

The Peculiars
Title: The Peculiars
Author: Maureen Doyle McQuerry
Published by: Amulet Books imprint of ABRAMS
Released: 2012
Summary: Lena has always been different. Her extra long hands and abnormally long feet make her uncomfortable in a society that frowns at differences and where whispers of Peculiar blood abound. Lena has become adept at hiding her hands and feet and trying to attract as little attention as possible. On Lena's 18th birthday, her mother delivers a letter she has been saving from Lena's father, who left when she was 5. In the letter, Lena receives a cryptic message and an inheritance. Lena decides to travel to the Scree and try to find out just who or what she really is.
My Thoughts: I found this book to be really interesting. I was pulled in by the gorgeous cover and the promise of steampunk elements, and found out the story inside wasn't half bad. It was a very mysterious sort of story. Trying to figure out who or what Lena really was was really quite interesting. I liked the characters I was introduced to and found the story to be believable in its Victorian period context. I felt that the characters had traits and physical actions that were believable within the context in history they were place in. I don't really like it in a historical novel where characters have more modern day brave/headstrong traits that aren't believable in the world they're supposed to be occupying. The definition of a strong, female character has shifted with time and culture.
I did have some issues with the story. I sometimes thought Lena was a bit of an idiot. Sometimes she was too trusting and lacked the ability to think things through. The story was also very slow moving. Not boring per say, but in the grand scheme of things, not a lot happened. I also felt that the story didn't really have an ending. I don't know if this book is the first in a series, but it sort of had that feeling to it. The journey and mystery were so hyped up and drawn out and the actual reveal was a little disappointing and seemed to end as soon as it had begun.
Overall, I liked and enjoyed this book. It was fun and maybe a little different than what I was expecting. Good for people who love that odd feeling of mystery and wonder, who like trying to figure out just what is going on. If this does turn out to be a series, then I would be pleased to find out what happens next.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
Odd, Peculiar, and Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment