Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Top 5 Wednesday: Top 5 First Sentences!

This topic was a little harder for me because I'm not one of those people that highlights or has favorite lines in a book. I'm generally more caught up in the whole story and I don't tab or favorite lines. Surprisingly, I did find 5 books with first lines that I liked. This could have been because I picked up favorite books and said, 'yeah, I like that line,' or I generally did like the first line of the book. I feel like I'm easily hooked into the first couple lines of a story, even when the overall story is not that great. All the books I have picked for this Top 5 Wednesday post are great though, and favorites of mine. So here we goooo....

My Top 5 First Sentences!

1.
Title: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Author: J.K. Rowling

"Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much."

And

"Chapter One: The Boy Who Lived"

This one might be a little confusing because I picked two lines, and one isn't even the first line. I like the first line of HP and the Sorcerer's Stone just fine, but I really feel like the title of the first chapter really encompasses the magic that the reader is getting into. These lines are my favorite because they are from one of my favorite series, and they were the lines that started that first magical journey. I know, I know I'm including Harry Potter again, but I can't help it. I love it just sooo much :D

2.

Title: Rebecca
Author: Daphne Du Maurier

"Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again."

So this book has already been in another of my Top 5 Wednesday posts too, and considering this is only my second one, you're probably kind of wondering if I've even read any other books. But this repeat is deserved. The first sentence of Rebecca automatically conveys this mystery and spookiness about this place called Manderley. I feel that it is a great first sentence and really draws one in to the awesomeness of this story. Obviously I like Rebecca and I'm going to pimp it out yet again as a book you should all read.
3.

Title: Vicious
Author: V.E. Schwab

"Victor readjusted the shovels on his shoulder and stepped gingerly over an old, half-sunken grave."

Yes, Yes another repeat. I do have problems. But I loved this book so much and remember being drawn in right from the first page. This first sentence helped to capture my attention and intrigue me because I needed to know who this Victor was and why he was in an graveyard with a shovel. Right from the very start I could see that some stuff was going to go down in this book and I was so excited to be along for the ride. I was interested in Victor from the very first and he has stayed with me as one of those people who can do truly awful things, but who I really like anyway.

4.
Title: Anna Dressed In Blood
Author: Kendare Blake

"The grease-slicked hair is a dead giveaway -- no pun intended."

This line is on my list because as soon as I read it, I knew I was in for a good time. I loved Cas' voice right from the start, the dry, sarcastic tone of it. As the chapter went on, I knew I was hooked. I won't say that I loved absolutely everything about this book, but I did really enjoy a great majority of it. It was a great read and a great time.

5.
Title: Artemis Fowl
Author: Eoin Colfer

"How does one describe Artemis Fowl?"

Ahhh, Artemis Fowl. My favorite diabolical genius child. This first line is perfect because even after reading the majority of the series, it still rings true. This is another series that I love (I really need to get around to reading the last one). It is such a good time in book format and the reader kind of grows with Artemis. There is also the fun magic and centaurs aspect to it along with all the crime. I had to include this in my favorite lines.

So that's it for this week's Top 5 Wednesday! Tell me what you're favorite lines from books are. Are you like me where you pick your favorite books and then use those lines, or are you a real first line enthusiast and look for first lines that really mean something? I'd love to know either way. So, as always, here's the link to the complete list of Top 5 Wednesdayer's and here's to hoping you join in the fun as well! 
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1608567-complete-list-of-wednesday-ers



No comments:

Post a Comment