Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Review of: Rebecca By Daphne Du Maurier

Title: Rebecca
Author: Daphne Du Maurier
Publisher: Harper
Released: Originally 1938, Reprinted 2006
Yes another review. You're probably thinking Ashley where are all these YA books you promised us. I'm terribly sorry. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier is another adult book. The reason why I read this book is because I'm currently taking a class called Film and Lit and this was the first book on the list. Interestingly enough Alfred Hitchcock made this into a movie, his first movie made in America no less.
A short synopsis: Rebecca is the first wife of Maxim De Winter who died in a horrific boating accident leaving him a broken man who must escape from his beloved home Manderley and all the memories it holds. Our narrator who is never given a name meets Maxim at a hotel and she falls in love with him and she helps him forget the darkness of his past. After a whirlwind courtship they marry and go to live in the beloved estate of Manderly. While there our narrator is constantly haunted and compared to the beautiful Rebecca, forced to deal with the creepy housekeeper Mrs. Danvers, and subjected to Maxim's fits of melancholy. The dead Rebecca has a haunting presence in the house and the narrator must find out the truth of Rebecca and her death.
My humble opinion of this book, I LOVED IT. When I first had to read it and realized it was kind of a classic, I was sure that I wouldn't enjoy it, but that proved not to be the case. The writing pulled me in and held me there with lots of twists and turns. I was never sure what was going to happen next. Finding out the truth of Rebecca made me want to finish the novel all the quicker. I enjoyed the narrator of the story with her wonderful imagination. And while reading I could feel the creepiness of the house and Mrs. Danvers. The language was also beautiful and very descriptive concerning Manderley. There wasn't really anything I didn't like about this book. If you haven't read it, you should definitely go and pick it up today and then watch the movie. This is one classic that is compulsively readable.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment