Sunday, February 5, 2012

Review of: The Book of Tomorrow By: Cecelia Ahern

Title: The Book of Tomorrow
Author: Cecelia Ahern
Publisher: HarperCollins
Released: 2011
Quick Summary: Tamara Goodwin has the life. She is the daughter of a successful businessman, lives in a mansion, and has everything she could ever ask for. Then, her father commits suicide and everything is taken away. Tamara and her mother go to live with her aunt Rosaleen and uncle Arthur miles away from where she used to call home and any real discernible town. Her mother is severely depressed over the death of her father and spends her days in a near catatonic state, her aunt is obsessive and watchful, and her uncle is a man who keeps to himself. Tamara's life goes from dull to intriguing when she finds a blank diary that magically fills with words detailing the future events of the upcoming day. With this diary and a dilapidated castle as the backdrop, Tamara goes on a journey to discover who she really is.
My Thoughts: I was intrigued by the premise of the story of having a magical diary that will unveil the day to day future. I also thought the cover of the book was really pretty and it drew me in. Upon reading the novel, it became clear that the book was one of self discovery. The magical diary, while important, didn't play as big of a role as I would have liked.
I also didn't like the main character of Tamara. At times I sympathized with her because she had lost her father to suicide, been yanked from everything she knew, and was coping with a severely depressed mother, but I never liked her. My reasons for this dislike were:
1. She was mean/selfish. She said really mean things to people when it wasn't called for or deserved.
2. She made stupid decisions throughout the whole novel. I felt like yelling at her sometimes because of the stupid decisions that she continued to make over and over again.
For me, she just wasn't a likable character and by the end of the novel I didn't feel like she really changed from the mean person she started out as.
The idea for the novel was good and the unveiling of the secrets surrounding her life was enjoyable to read. It was just Tamara that was the problem.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 2/5
just ehh

No comments:

Post a Comment