Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Review of Evermore, By: Alyson Noel

Title: Evermore
Author: Alyson Noel
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Released: 2009
Summary: Ever's life is forever changed when her parents, sister, and dog are killed in a car crash while she survives. While recovering from the accident, she discovers a set of abilities she now seems to possess. Ever can now see peoples' auras, read minds, and discover secrets with just a touch. Ever is now branded as a freak at her new high-school in LA, living with her aunt. One day, a mysterious boy shows up, Damen. He's able to silence the thoughts of all the others, He makes Ever feel something she's never felt before. At the same times as Ever is falling in love, she must also figure out just who Damen really is.
My Thoughts: This novel had a Twilight-esque feel to it, with the girl and the handsome boy with a secret who is totally into her. I won't say this was one of my favorite books, just okay. Alyson Noel is a good writer, but her characters in Evermore just weren't the most enjoyable to get to know and read about. I've heard Ever described as annoying in other reviews I've read and I can understand where that feeling comes from. To me, Ever seems very immature and whiny, which can come across as annoying while reading. Also, while it is sad she lost her family in a horrendous accident, Ever didn't seem like a character I could relate with. She's rich, beautiful, and while plagued with what could be viewed as gifts, she takes the glass-half-empty approach and calls them curses. If comparing Ever to Bella Swan from Twilight, I would say Bella wins as the more likable, relateable character. I also had a sort of problem with the love interest Damen, I didn't think he was that great a guy. He wasn't particularly swoonworthy and I wasn't in love with his character. If it was a battle between Edward Cullen versus Damen, Edward would win every time. One other thing that annoyed me was the names of characters: Ever, Honor, Haven, Drina, Sabine! Doesn't anyone in the story have a halfway normal name? But, I could just be the strange one there. This novel was trying for the Twilight feel, but it just fell short. There were too many psychic abilities to be believed and not enough human(ness) in Damen to make him likable. While this wasn't my dream story, I would like to stress that this is just my opinion. I would encourage readers to pick up Evermore, and decide for themselves whether they like it or not.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3/5
just okay, not fantastic

No comments:

Post a Comment