Monday, July 29, 2013

Booktube-A-Thon WrapUp

So, I participated in this thing called the Booktube-A-Thon Read-A-Thon that took place from July 15-21, 2013. It was this cool idea thought up by Ariel Bissett and Raeleen from PadfootandProngs07 to make a readathon for the booktube/youtube community. Now, I had seen other readathons going on in the blogging world, but had just never really felt like joining or getting involved with them. I really ended up enjoying myself in the Booktube-A-Thon and will definitely participate in the next one. I don't know if it is going to be a yearly thing or twice a year, but whenever they decide to do another one, I'm definitely in.
So this Booktube-A-Thon consisted of  the usually read-a-thon stuff, with trying to read as much as one possibly can in 7 days. Raeleen and Ariel also came up with 7 challenges that participants could choose to do or not. The challenges were: listen to an audiobook, reread a book, read a book that has been on your shelf the longest, finish a series, read a book with 500 pages or more, read a classic, and to read an average of 300 pages a day for an end week total of 2,100 pages. I myself didn't decide to do any of the challenges, although I did attempt the 300 pages a day challenge and ended up failing miserably. I had a lot of fun doing the booktube-a-thon, and just wanted to use this post to give my end results.
While I read a whole lot during the week, I did have other responsibilities like work and school that ended up limiting my reading time. At the end of the week, I managed to finish 2 1/2 books, which I'm pretty proud of.
The first book that I read all the way through and finished was...
Flesh and Bone (Benny Imura, #3)
Title: Flesh and Bone
By: Jonathan Maberry
This is the third book in the Rot & Ruin series and I really enjoyed it. The first book wasn't my favorite thing ever, but as the books have gone on, they have gotten much more enjoyable. They are a great zombie series and this one ended on such a cliffhanger kind of note that I have to keep reading to find out what happens next. I think the fourth one comes out late 2013 or 2014, so I can't wait for that. Another cool thing about this book was that the majority of it took place in one action packed, dangerous day. The first page started off with action and danger and that just continued through the rest of the story. Great book for the start of my booktubeathon. The grand total for this read was 469 pages!
The second book I read and finished for the booktube-a-thon was...

London Eye (Toxic City, #1)
Title: London Eye
Author: Tim Lebbon
This is the first book in the Toxic City series which is about 5 kids whose families were affected by a terrorist attack on London. A mysterious chemical agent was released on London with many people killed and the survivors mutating and developing strange powers. London has been cut off from the rest of the world and nobody knows the truth of what lies inside. These 5 kids sneak into London to find out if their family members have survived and are still alive and end up finding out a lot more than they bargained for.
I didn't enjoy the first of this book so much, but the rest of it was a fun, post apocalyptic journey into a wasteland that used to be London. In the end, I really did end up enjoying this book and even checked out the second book in the series from my library. I did really dislike Lucy-Anne though. She was one annoying character. The grand total of pages read for this was 229 pages!
The last book that I started and got a little over halfway through during the booktubeathon was...
Eve (Eve, #1)
Title: Eve
Author: Anna Carey
So I started Eve and ended up getting a little over half way through the book before booktubeathon was over. The last 2 days of booktubeathon were bad for reading because I had to work all day and wasn't able to accomplish much reading wise. I really enjoyed this book. It's a great dystopian/post apocalyptic read with a very interesting world of New America. I'm currently reading the second book now and am liking it too. I think this series is one of the forgotten dystopian gems. For this book, I ended up reading 176 pages!!
So all in all, I count this booktube-a-thon as a success. I managed to finish 2 books and get halfway through a third. I had a lot of fun doing it and even though I wasn't able to finish or complete any of the challenges, I still managed to do the important thing, which was to sit down and read some awesome books. My grand total was 874 pages! Wow! I can't wait for the next booktube-a-thon  and I hope I didn't bore you guys with this post. Look out for a review or Reading Right Now! post next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment