Monday, August 4, 2014

Review: Deadline (Newsflesh #2) by Mira Grant

Title: Deadline (Newsflesh #2)
Author: Mira Grant
Published by: Orbit Books/ Hachette Book Group
Released: 2011
Summary: After the catastrophic events of last year, The After The End Times blog/news site is trying to deal and come back from the tragedy that befell them. Shaun Mason has lost the edge that makes him a good Irwin. He has now been put in charge of the site and really doesn't know what to do. When someone starts targeting the headquarters and the staff, Shaun knows he's on to something big, something that affects the whole pre-rising world, and it's up to him and his staff to uncover the truth.
My Thoughts: I read Feed a couple of years ago and although I didn't love it, I did want to continue on with the series. I was excited to pick up Deadline and couldn't wait to get back into this zombie world. Unfortunately, I really didn't end up enjoying the majority of Deadline. Certain characters really got on my nerves and it really ended up as more of a government conspiracy plot than an end of the world zombie novel, which is probably more of what I wanted. I also really didn't enjoy this whole melodramatic flair for the truth and doing anything for the news. I don't understand the mindset of a bunch of these characters.
I did get more into this story as I got near the end, but then it just ended in a massive cliffhanger which I had my own problems with.
Overall this was just an okay book and an okay series, that could do with more survival and zombie action with less melodrama and government conspiracy. I do plan on finishing the series just to see what happens.
SPOILERS!!! This part of my review will contain SPOILERS, so if you haven't read Feed yet, don't read this.
I did wonder how the series was going to go on with killing off Georgia and I think that's what disappointed me the most. The whole Georgia living, talking, and interacting in Shaun's head through all of Deadline just irritated me. It just seemed like that author had no plan on how to continue the story without Georgia, so she just stuck her back in. What was the point of offing Georgia and then keeping her around. And that ending/really non-ending to Deadline, just annoying. It just seemed like awful planning to decide to kill off a character, but then regret killing her off. I should have known when we heard about the whole clone thing in the beginning. SPOILERS OVER.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 2.5/5
just mehh. I want zombies, not government conspiracies.

No comments:

Post a Comment