Saturday, August 22, 2015

Reading Right Now! (#39)


Title: Sweet
Author: Emmy Laybourne
I'm on page 178 of 272 pages, which makes me about 65% of the way through the book.

What I'm Reading Right Now! is Sweet by Emmy Laybourne. This novel is about a cruise ship that is introducing the launch of an artificial sweetener that also causes people to lose weight. The whole point of the cruise is for a lucky, select group of individuals to be able to try the miracle sweetener, Solu, first. Laurel is invited by her best friend Viv to go on the cruise, but because of some horrible seasickness, she's not able to try any of the sweetener. Tom Forelli, former child star Baby Tom-Tom has been hired to do the promotion for Solu and this cruise to lose. Everything starts out fine. The sweetener even seems to be working, with passengers experiencing tangible results. But then things start to get weird, passengers on Solu start going a little crazy. Tom and Laurel team up and try to expose the shocking results of Solu for the world to see.
I'm enjoying this one so far. I won't say it's going to be a favorite of the year for me, but it is enjoyable reading. The story is really fast paced and the descent into craziness is kinda fun to watch. My only ehh issue with this is, that I'm not sure I really like Tom that much. He's definitely not a book boy heartthrob to be. Maybe it's cause he's a former child star and now works as a TV hosting personality, but he just seems kind of in-to himself to me. I don't really buy the romance between him and Laurel. I will admit that it started out sweet, but when the actual romancey bit happened, I just wasn't the biggest fan. I think it was because how Tom kept thinking to himself, oh Laurel's shy. Maybe Laurel's just not the type to rush into a relationship with a Hollywood guy. I don't know, maybe I'm just being too defensive because I tend to be a shy person. I'm just not that much into the romance on this one. But yeah, it's not a bad book so far. I am enjoying the story. And it's perfect if you want a quick read.
So that's what I'm Reading Right Now! Tell me what you're reading below because I always do like to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment