Thursday, September 17, 2015

Review: Fire & Ash (Benny Imura #4) by Jonathan Maberry

Title: Fire & Ash (Benny Imura #4)
Author: Jonathan Maberry
Published by: Simon&Schuster BFYR
Released: 2013

Summary: Benny, Nix, Lilah, and Chong have finally found the mysterious jet, only to find out that that jet isn't the miracle they've been hoping for. They find a place called Sanctuary that is filled with the dead, the sick, and caretaker monks and nuns. The residents of Sanctuary believe the zoms are The Children of Lazarus, who are here to inherit the Earth and therefore must not be killed.
When Benny finds clues to the possibility of a cure and a person who can make more of a cure, he sets out to find them.
The Reapers are still on the move, led by St. John. Their mission: to slaughter everyone in the Nine Towns. Benny and the crew have a big job on their hands. They must save the towns, find the cure, and live to see the next days. The thrilling conclusion to a zombieriffic series!
My Thoughts: First off, I just want to say that this is the third series I've finished in the last couple months. I see that as an accomplishment, seeing how I'm constantly starting new series or are in the middle of series. So enough jibber jabber, on to the review...
I've really enjoyed this series as a whole. Jonathan Maberry has become an author that I really enjoy reading. Starting with Rot & Ruin, I was entertained, but not blown away. I thought Rot & Ruin was a little preachy in some ways. The series really became one of my favorites in Dust & Decay and Flesh & Blood. There was so much action, zombie mayhem, wild beasts, religious fanatics, and character's that I really enjoyed. In Fire & Ash, we get a satisfactory ending to a pretty good series.
One of the things I really enjoyed was seeing Joe Ledger in Imura's world. If any of you have read Maberry's adult series, (starting with Patient Zero) then you know the Mr. Awesome that is Joe Ledger. I just really enjoyed having him in the story and how Maberry tied his two zombie worlds together. Also, there was an awesome Walking Dead reference and I love anything Walking Dead.
The story was quick, full of action, and some really epic battles. The Reapers are awesome villains! Religious fanatics that are absolutely terrifying and extremely dangerous. I wasn't disappointed by this ending and Maberry didn't really leave any loose ends. I won't say this was my favorite book in the series though. I just didn't get that feeling that comes from reading a 5 star book. It was definitely good though. I did feel like there wasn't enough heartache in the ending though. Not that I love heartache, but I just think in this kind of world, with these kind of battles, losing some characters wouldn't have been that shocking.
All in all, a good ending to a really cool series. This will definitely be one of my recommended series to anyone who wants a good zombie read. Plenty of action, danger, zombies, and enjoyment. Also, I find that any book Jonathan Maberry has blurbed has been an enjoyable read. He's got good book taste.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
A good end to a good series.


No comments:

Post a Comment