Monday, February 5, 2018

Review: The Spellman Files (#1) by Lisa Lutz


Title: The Spellman Files (#1)
Author: Lisa Lutz
Published by: Simon & Schuster Paperbacks
Released: 2007
Source: Library

Summary: Meet the Spellmans, a family of PI's. Isabel Spellman is the wild child of the family, and even though she's mostly cleaned up her act, the family still treats here like the screw up. After a rash of tapped phones, 24 hour surveillance, and illegal background checks on her boyfriends, Isabel has reached the end of her rope. Because of her family's ability to not stay out of her business, she's decided to quit the family business. But before she can go, she has to solve one last case.
My Thoughts: I was expecting something slightly different from this book, and I'm left feeling a little mixed. I didn't hate the story, but I didn't love it either.
I enjoyed the kooky family aspect, to an extent. They are a very odd family, very odd.
I think my main issue, or what threw me off, was the way this book was set up. I found the beginning kind of hard to get in to because it jumped around in time and in situations. I tend to like a more linear storyline. I find them much easier to follow. At about the middle of the book, it became linear, and I ended up enjoying it more.
I enjoyed the case Isabel was investigating, but I feel it got wrapped up too quickly. I just didn't feel any shock or sense of achievement with how any of the cases ended.
I definitely think this book series has potential. I'm not giving up on it. I just expected something different from The Spellman Files, and so was a little thrown off balance when I didn't get that. It's not bad, but not necessarily what I wanted. It was a cast of weird characters though, I'll give it that.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.3/5
Not Exactly What I Wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment