Monday, February 12, 2018

Review: Sweet Tooth, Volume 1: Out Of the Deep Woods (Issues #1-5) by Jeff Lemire, Jose Villarrubia, Pat Brosseau


Title: Sweet Tooth, Volume 1: Out of the Deep Woods (Issues #1-5)
Story and Art by: Jeff Lemire
Colors: Jose Villarrubia
Letters: Pat Brosseau
Published by: Vertigo/DC Comics
Released: 2009
Source: Library

Summary: Disease has swept the world. Populations have been decimated. Every child born after the plague, and there have been few, are animal/human mutants. And the plague hasn't been cured, everyone eventually succumbs, except the mutant kids who seem to be immune. 
Gus lives in the woods with his father. He's never seen anyone else. Gus is a mutant, part boy part deer. The world is dangerous for him, people hunt mutant kids down and sell them. His world becomes even more dangerous when his father dies.
When Gus is almost captured, a mysterious man comes to his rescue. He promises to keep Gus safe, to take him to a place called The Preserve. So begins Gus's next adventure, through a dangerous land, with a mysterious protector.
My Thoughts: Not what I was expecting. I'd been hearing about this comic series for a while and always wanted to check it out. The premise is right up my alley. Post Apocalyptic world, disease, and a dangerous journey. I liked this first Volume, but I wouldn't say I loved it. It was kind of unexpected. This was very dark, and sad. I didn't know that the main character was so young, I assumed he was older.
The story also went very quick. I thought the journey would take longer.
I don't know how I feel about the art. That style isn't my favorite, but it did kind of fit the story. It just wasn't the most pretty, most pleasant to look at.
The ending was something too. I won't say it was a surprise, because there were warning bells throughout the story, but it still had an impact.
I liked Sweet Tooth, but I wasn't blown away by it. I'm not the biggest fan of the art style, and was surprised by how bleak the story really was. I do want to continue on with the series though. The ending left me with questions, questions that I want answers to.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.3/5
Very Dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment