Monday, April 16, 2018

Review: The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore, and Cliff Rathburn


Title: The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye
Written by: Robert Kirkman
Art by: Tony Moore
Gray Tones by: Cliff Rathburn
Published by: Image Comics, Inc.
Released: 2001
Source: Library

Summary: What do you do when the world that you know is gone? Do you give up or do you do what you have to to survive? Rick Grimes wakes up from a coma to discover a world forever changed. The dead don't stay dead, they wake up hungry. With the dead attacking the living, no place is really safe.
Rick has to quickly come to terms with this new world. He sets out to find his family in Atlanta, and discovers just what he'll do to survive.
Welcome to the beginning of an epic journey!
My Thoughts: This is a re-read for me. I'd read the first two massive Compendiums a couple of years ago, but then never continued. I wanted to refresh and start the journey again from the beginning. Also, I think these Volumes are more friendly to read and carry around then the massive Compendiums. They are easier to read and you don't get burnt out from reading too much Walking Dead at a time.
This should be no surprise to anybody, but I LOVE THE WALKING DEAD! I love the story of survival it tells. What will you do to survive? What do you become in the end?
I was a fan of the show first, but I really wanted to read and experience the source material. I think what I found surprising about this first Volume is how fast everything happened. It's always interesting to look back on the show and see what's the same, and what's different. Things that were stretched out for two or three episodes were just a couple of pages in the comic.
I don't know how to feel about what happened to Shane. I feel like it was easier to dislike the show version of him, but I almost ended up feeling sorry for the comic Shane. I felt bad for him.
I really enjoy the art and story of The Walking Dead, and I can't wait to continue my reread. I hope to eventually get to material I haven't read before. I think it will be a long, long, long time before my love for post-apocalyptic zombie fiction dies. I hope I always love it.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
Heck Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment