Monday, July 2, 2012

Review of: Semi-Charmed Life By Nora Zelevansky

Semi-Charmed Life
Title: Semi-Charmed Life
Author: Nora Zelevansky
Published by: St. Martin's Press
Released: July 3, 2012

Summary: Beatrice Bernstein is the odd sheep in her artsy New York City family. She is unsure of what to do with her life and she is currently going to college and pursuing a career in journalism. It's her senior year and the college housing has placed her in a dank, dark, creepy basement apartment that is plagued by gigantic cockroaches. No rooms are available to switch and Beatrice is finding it next to impossible to cope with the situation. Suddenly salvation arrives in the form of Veruca Pfeffernoose, the "It" girl of society. Veruca offers Beatrice a place to live in return for Beatrice ghost writing Veruca's art blog. Beatrice accepts and suddenly she's swept up into the world of designer clothes, never ending parties, and the H.O.S. Crew. Is Beatrice's wildest dream coming true or is she losing what she values most in this fake world? Beatrice must figure out the true intentions of those around her before it's too late.
My Thoughts: First, Thanks to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for letting me review an early e-arc of Nora Zelevansky's debut novel. Second, I just want to point out the gorgeous cover. I love the water color effect of it. If for nothing else, get the book just for the cover.
This book grew on me while reading. It was a little hard to get into, but the middle part really hooked me in and I became engaged in the story.
I really liked the character of Beatrice. She really illustrated that feeling of fear of the future. Of not really knowing what to do next in life, which really connected with me.
The writing style kind of reminded me of Candace Bushnell (Sex and the City, Four Blondes) The never ending rich people parties were also fun to read about.
Another thing I liked about the book was the love interest of Ben. He just seemed like such a dreamy guy and I was fervently wishing that there would be a happily ever after for the two of them.
Sometimes the writing and Beatrice's thoughts went on a bit of a tangent, which I didn't like quite so much. This was really prevalent in the beginning of the book.
The ending was a little iffy for me. I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it. I just thought that it was a little too bizarre and let some characters off the hook when I would have liked to see them punished. Let's just say I didn't buy the angelic innocence of one particular character.
I liked this book. The setting and characterization is enjoyable to read and being able to experience that rich, socialite lifestyle is a lot of fun. This is a book to live vicariously through. Nora Zelevansky delivered a fun, light romp in her debut novel.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5
In this book, the party never stops!

No comments:

Post a Comment