Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Review of: The Walking Dead: Compendium One

The Walking Dead, Compendium 1
Title: The Walking Dead: Compendium One
Authors: Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, Tony Moore, Cliff Rathburn
Published by: Image Comics, Inc.
Released: 2010
Summary: Rick Grimes wakes up from a coma into a world that has been overrun by zombies. Through a miracle, Rick finds his family alive, camped out with a band of survivors. Rick becomes leader of the group and undertakes the responsibility of finding food and shelter. This band of survivors must live in this zombie infested world and find out what it truly means to be human. This collection combines the first 8 books, 48 issues of the phenomenon that is The Walking Dead.
My Thoughts: After reading this, I realized that I'm a bigger fan of the show then the graphic novels. I still enjoyed the story though.
Maybe my problem was that the show changed things from the original work. The show went on a more entertaining journey then the actual comic did. Characters that I loved the show rubbed me the wrong way in the graphic novel. Like Rick Grimes, some of the decisions made in the book turned him into a colder person that I didn't connect with as much.
Now, I know this book is about zombies and the small band of survivors, so I expect some death. I just didn't like the crazy amount of death. In that way, it was like the last Harry Potter book. It had me yelling WHY! 
Another thing that bothered me about all the death is that they would kill off characters and then just introduce new ones. That just didn't seem smart or believable because it's the zombie apocalypse. The surviving humans will eventually die out, so it seems unwise to have someone die every ten pages or so.
I did enjoy it, mostly because I'm a fan of the show. The graphic novel sort of reminded me of Cormac McCarthy's The Road. It had that same sort of feeling to it. All in all, the graphic novel version was O.K. I do have to give it props because it gave the inspiration for a great show that I'm very addicted to. Recommended reading for zombie lovers. But that ending! I just read 8 books in a row and then you leave me with a To Be Continued! grrr... not cool.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3/5
The T.V. Show trumps the comic

No comments:

Post a Comment