Monday, January 20, 2014

Bout of Books 9.0 Read-A-Thon Wrap-up!

So, the Bout of Books 9.0 is over. It's actually been over for a little while. Okay, so maybe I'm a week late in this post. My blog really has been suffering and I want to do better because I feel bad about just having it sit here all alone with no one to love it and post on it. So anyway, with my guilt out there in the open, I'm just going to go on to this Bout of Books 9.0 wrap-up.
I really feel that I had a successful read-a-thon for the week. I managed to finish two books and read a chunk of a third one. I didn't hate any of the books I read for the week, I actually really really loved two of them. So here's the books that I read for the read-a-thon.

Title: Vicious
Author: V.E. Schwab
My Rating: 5/5

I had started this book before the read-a-thon started so I finished the last 85 pages during the reading week. IT WAS AWESOME!! Sorry for the caps, but it totally deserved the caps and my 5 star rating and the awesomeness that I will continue to say about it. I loved every single minute of this book. I loved the super hero aspect (or the E.O.'s as they are called). The characters are super awesome too. I love Victor and his little gang of merry men. I wanted him to win, even though he had some bad/evil tendencies and his power was all about causing discomfort. Eli was also an interesting character. I really didn't like him, but at the same time I kind of wondered what I would have thought of him if the story had started from his viewpoint. His whole idea was super messed up and I would have loved to have some insight into his past and what made him think the way that he did. Not that anything he said would convince me that he was right, but still I would have loved to know what made Eli tick. In the end, I loved this book and just wanted more and more and more. I hate that I'm hearing it's a stand alone book. I want more of this world and more of these characters. V.E. Schwab, Give Me More Vicious!!
Title: The Spook Lights Affair
Authors: Marcia Muller and Bill Pronzini
My Rating: 3/5
This book was just an average read for me. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't the greatest thing ever either. I managed to zip through all 250 pages of it. I was interested in the mystery and the characters were enjoyable. I really liked the fake/real/I don't know Sherlock Holmes character. How can you not like a guy that pretends to be Sherlock Holmes and dresses up in all kinds of fancy costumes. I did think that the mystery was solved in a Nancy Drewish kind of way. I just felt like it was set up for the detectives to figure out everything so smartly and the wee reader wasn't smart enough to put it all together. Overall enjoyable book, even though it didn't deliver the ghosts like I thought it would.

Title: The Hero's Guide to Storming The Castle
Author: Christopher Healy
Illustrator: Todd Harris
My Rating: 5/5
This was the last book I managed to get to in the read-a-thon and I managed to read 210 pages of it. This is another series that I love just for the pure cuteness and vast amounts of funny included in the pages. The illustrations by Todd Harris are so good and add so much to the story. I love the humor of these books. I finished it not that long after the read-a-thon ended and can't wait for the third book to come out. I love this series and these characters. The personalities given to every Prince Charming make for very fun reading. Go Pick Up This Series!!

So that's it for the Bout of Books 9.0 Read-A-Thon. I very much enjoyed myself and plan on joining in on the next one. Tons of fun and I didn't get into a reading slump afterward which is always a sign of a good read-a-thon.
 http://boutofbooks.blogspot.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment