Thursday, March 20, 2014

Reading Right Now! (#3)

Title: A Fatal Likeness
Author: Lynn Shepherd
So what I'm Reading Right Now is A Fatal Likeness by Lynn Shepherd. There's actually a funny story behind this book. I checked it out from my library because I thought it looked interesting and the feather in her hair really called to me. After I checked it out, and it had been sitting on my shelf for about a week, I saw a video on youtube by the YARebels. In the video it was talking about this article where the writer pretty much said J.K. Rowling needs to stop writing books if she cares about writing at all. It was pretty much a sour grapes article where she author was complaining that nobody was buying her books or other lowly authors books because of the hype surrounding J.K. Rowling's books. She wanted Rowling to stop writing because it wasn't fair to other lowly authors or something. The author of the article also put down adults reading YA books because they weren't "stimulating" enough or some such nonsense. I'll link the full article here in case you are interested in reading it.  http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/lynn-shepherd/jk-rowling-should-stop-writing_b_4829648.html
So the article kind of annoyed me on many levels and I was interested to see what the author of the article had wrote herself. And lo and behold, I had checked out one of the books she had written and it was this one.
So I'm trying really hard to not judge this book just based on the stupid article the author wrote. I think how you feel about a book should be based on what's inside rather than what the author is like in real life.
I'm not very far in this book, only on page 30 or so. So far, it's just an okay book. The writing is very stylized and weird. The narrator will offer asides to the reader that is kind of jarring. Also, I'm trying to get sucked into this historical, Victorian London world and the writing style keeps pulling me out of it by jumping to what a certain street really looks like in 2013. Maybe I'm being overly judgmental and looking for things to nitpick.
So that's what I'm Reading Right Now! Tell me what you're Reading Right Now! in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment