Monday, November 3, 2014

Review: Hallowed (Unearthly #2) by Cynthia Hand

Title: Hallowed (Unearthly #2)
Author: Cynthia Hand
Published by: HarperTEEN
Released: 2012
Summary: In this second book in the Unearthly Trilogy, Clara has to deal with being a half-angel who has failed at her purpose. After the events of the last year, Clara is uncertain as to what this year has to offer. Is there a punishment for failing at your divine purpose? Clara then starts getting another vision, one that involves a graveyard, black shoes, and an all-consuming feeling of sorrow. It seems someone in Clara's life is going to pass on from this life. Clara also has to juggle two boys, Christian and Tucker, as they fight for her affection. Two boys who each offer something different to Clara. Who knew being a half-angel could be so complicated?
My Thoughts: I remember reading Unearthly and really enjoying it. The half-angels, divine purposes, and two hot boys. I was very excited to go into Hallowed, to find out just what was going to happen to Clara next.
This book was just very depressing for me, I guess the blue cover suits it well. This book has a death in it that takes up the majority of the story. The whole story is pretty much focused on death and sorrow and it was just sort of depressing to read about. Also, the person who died is someone that I don't want to think about dying, not the character as much as the role he/she has. It was just a downer kind of a book and I don't like thinking about those things or dwelling on them. I guess sad books aren't my first go to for reading pleasure.
Also this romance, love triangle thing was a little blah. I understood the two sides and I felt bad for the situation she is in. In Unearthly, I was firmly Team Tucker, just because he's such a genuine, nice guy. In this book, Tucker doesn't get a lot of scene time and his awesomeness is just kind of replaced with mushy kiss scenes. I think I know which way Clara's heart will go and I kinda understand it. I think Tucker is going to be heartbroken, but maybe staying with Clara would hurt him more in the long run. Tucker is still an awesome guy though!
All in all, this book was just an okay read. It was majorly sad and depressing which made it not the most fun story to read. I really can't wait to see what happens in the last book and what happens with Jeffrey. I think Jeffrey is hiding some secrets. For those of you that haven't read Unearthly, go do it! This is an enjoyable YA series with beautiful covers.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3/5
Sad. Be sure to have a box of tissues handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment