Sunday, June 14, 2015

Reading Right Now! (#32)


Title: The Waking Dark
Author: Robin Wasserman
I'm on page 289 of this strange, 452 page beast. I don't know what percentage that makes me, but it's definitely over 50%

What I'm Reading Right Now! is The Waking Dark by Robin Wasserman. It is a horror novel, where one day 12 people are killed, with friends and neighbors being the killers. One killer survives, and has no idea what led her to kill. Flash forward to a year later where the town is on the way to getting over what happened and a tornado hits. An F5 tornado that decimates parts of town. Where cleanup and aid should be happening in the aftermath, the town instead gets quarantined, shut down, no one is allowed to leave for some unknown reason. The government has stationed soldiers at the border who deliver food and supplies, but won't let anyone leave. Things keep getting stranger in Oleander, Kansas and the people start going a little strange too.
I am definitely enjoying this book, but at the same time I'm left with this feeling of confusion and discomfort. Like this town is getting more messed up by the day and I'm curious to figure out just what is going on. This book is also categorized as YA, but it doesn't feel like any YA book I've ever read. It's actually kind of refreshing in that way. I've never read any Stephen King, but the author says this is her kind of paying homage to one of the horror masters. If I had one solid word for this book, it would be weird, very very weird. I don't know what's going on. People are getting crazier by the day. I don't think things are going to end well for this town.
And shout-out to the state of Kansas whoop whoop! I used to live there, grew up there really, all my family still lives there, so I enjoyed having a book set there. At first I thought maybe the author had some sort of Kansas connection from her mentioning the Royals and the fantastic beverage that is pop, but I'm not 100% sure. She mentions corn and corn fields a lot and Kansas isn't really a big grower of corn. That's more Nebraska. Kansas grows a lot of wheat. There's some knowledge for you.
So yeah, that's what I'm Reading Right Now! It's weird, but strangely entertaining. I will say I feel like I'm reading it slowly though. It might be because I'm not in the mood to read every second and I keep getting distracted by all things social media and internet, including this blog. It needed to be updated, which gave me an excuse to abandon reading. Anyway, enough with my babbling. What are you Reading Right Now? Let me know in the comments below. Also, if anyone has read this book, I would love to know what you thought of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment