Monday, June 22, 2015

Review: Y: The Last Man: Unmanned: Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra, Jose Marzan, Jr.


Title: Y: The Last Man: Unmanned: Volume 1
Writer: Brian K. Vaughan
Penciller: Pia Guerra
Inker: Jose Marzan, Jr.
Published by: VERTIGO/DC Comics
Released: 2003

Summary: Summer 2002: Every male of every species suddenly drops dead. The cause is unknown, but the consequences are awful. The world is now run by women, but without men, they are a dying breed. There is one exception, one man still walks the Earth, and his name is Yorick Brown. Yorick Brown and his male pet monkey miraculously survived. Yorick could be the key to an answer, a cure, but all he wants to do is find his girlfriend in Australia. Making it there might be hard though, because some women don't want the men back at all, they want them all dead.
My Thoughts: Ahh graphic novels, such fun. They are so quick to read and can be refreshing to read between big books. I'd heard of Y: The Last Man on booktube and thought I'd check it out. I'm glad I did because it was highly enjoyable. The writing was very quick and funny, and the artwork went right along with it. This was just a very fun story and I've already requested the following volumes from my library.
Yorick Brown is a really funny character. Part of why I enjoyed the book so much is because of him.
Some things I didn't understand: why the world collapses just because the men are gone. I get that no men is disastrous, but I didn't understand why food or electricity would become scarce without them. The Amazon women, I didn't get them. Burning off your left breast seems a little crazy under the circumstances. And why does everyone just assume that all Republicans are gun toting crazies with no real gun skills? Those were just the questions/minor irritants running through my mind, but I still enjoyed the book.
So yeah, I liked it. Very funny and I can't wait to see where it goes next. I would definitely recommend this. And fun fact, Brian K. Vaughan is also the writer of the super hyped, graphic novel series Saga. I plan on reading that one too. 
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
Yorick Brown is a funny guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment