Friday, April 14, 2017

Reading Right Now! (111)

What I'm Reading Right Now! is...


Still this...

--Like A River Glorious (The Gold Seer Trilogy #2) by Rae Carson-- I'm really close to being done with this one, but I'm kind of mixed about it. I was really into it in the beginning, but as I've gotten farther, Leah's character has started to annoy me more. This book also has a very preachy, lecture vibe to it that I'm not really liking. I feel like people (or at least me) read historical fiction to enter a romanticized version of the past. They (I) want to enjoy reading it, and not be reminded every second page how evil white people are. I know that many bad things happened in the past, and it's visibly apparent looking back on history, but during that time, they lived a different way. I just don't feel like Leah or Lee (whatever) is feeling like an authentic, real character. I don't know. I'll get into everything more when I post my review, but these are just my feelings at the moment. 
There's also this weird vibe going on between Lee and her Uncle, which almost feels a little gross, so that's also messing with my mind.
I feel like I've just really slooooowed down with reading this one. It hasn't put me in a slump, but I'm just not as excited to pick it up as I first was. I mean, the writing is still really good. It's just that Leah is a pain and I don't like being preached at.

When I finally finish that, I think I'm going to give myself the options of:

 

And maybe even try to do that two books at one time kind of thing.

--The New Hunger (Warm Bodies #1.5) by Isaac Marion-- ZOMBIES!!! Also, a great way to get myself ready for the sequel, which just came out not that long ago.

--Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (#1) by Rosamund Hodge-- I really want to read a book by Rosamund Hodge, because I've heard good things about her.

So that's what I'm Reading Right Now! and my reading plans for the coming weekend. What are you reading? And tell me if I'm crazy about Like a River Glorious. Do you like romanticized versions of the past when reading historical fiction? Or do you want to hear all the nitty gritty stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment