Friday, April 21, 2017

Reading Right Now! (112)

What I'm Reading Right Now! is...


-- Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (#1) by Rosamund Hodge-- hmmm...


uhhh...


I don't really get it. It's supposed to be a Romeo and Juliet meets Sabriel kind of thing. Now, I'll admit that I've never read Sabriel and I've never really been into Shakespeare, but generally, I like re-imaginings of things. I just don't really understand what's going on in this. 
I'm about 25% through, and since I don't believe in DNF'ing books, I will read the rest of this. It's not awful, it's just a mediocre, confusing thing.
The biggest problem I'm having is that I really don't get the world, at all. It's like this weird magic, fantasy thing, mixed with this post-apocalyptic dead people coming back to life thing, and this deadly veil thing that kills everything, except this city guarded by magic. The weird fantasy magic thing is what's getting the most play though. 
We've been given these two character perspectives, and it's like I haven't even been properly introduced to them, they've just popped out of nowhere. There's all these weird names being thrown about, two different races of people that I'm having a hard time keeping track of, and I just don't really get it. 
I think I might have started out with the wrong Rosamund Hodge book/series. What is this? I'm so confused.

So that's what I'm Reading Right Now! What are you reading? Have you read this book? If you have, what did you think of it.

book cover image from www.goodreads.com and gif images found through google image search

No comments:

Post a Comment