Thursday, March 8, 2018

Review: The Blair Witch Project: A Dossier by D.A. Stern


Title: The Blair Witch Project: A Dossier
Author: D.A. Stern
Published by: ONYX
Released: 1999
Source: Library

Summary: It's been two years since Heather Donahue, Joshua Leonard, and Michael Williams entered into the Black Hills Woods near Burkittsville, Maryland. They were determined to explore the forest that is the location of the legend known as The Blair Witch. The three are never seen again. A 10 day search ensued, with no answers uncovered.
A year later, a student excavation team finds a backpack filled with film equipment and rolls of film. The backpack is confirmed as Heather Donahue's. From the rolls of film, the Blair Witch Project Documentary is released to the public, creating more questions than answers. But how did it end up in a basement, buried in a Civil War era house?
Heather's family is frustrated with the non-answers, so they hire Private Investigator Buck Buchanan. He and his team go over all the evidence, conducting their own investigations to find out what happened. D.A. Stern has compiled all those interviews and evidence into this Dossier, hoping that the mystery will finally be solved, and answers will be revealed.
My Thoughts: I enjoyed this. I'd watched The Blair Witch Project a couple of years ago, and while I didn't love the film, I did enjoy the mystery of it. The whole idea that it was marketed as a true event and scared so many people.
My main reason for picking up this book was because I liked the author. I'd read a book by him before, told in a similar style, and just really enjoyed it. I knew I had to check out more by him.
I love the style of this book. How it's told through pictures, case reports, notes, interviews, and transcripts. I find that set-up to be really fun to read.
I do think this book works best if you've already seen the film. It kind of relies on the audience already being familiar with the story and knowing what happened in the film. I don't think it can be read as a stand-alone thing, it just wouldn't work as well.
Now, when I watched the movie, I remember being really irritated by Heather, and I'm sticking to that opinion. The little bit we got from her in the book further showcases her domineering and annoying personality.
There were times while reading this that I got creeped out. Especially as all the Blair Witch Legend was discussed. The disappearances, the murders, the hands coming out of lakes and snatching children!! It might have been because I was reading at night and have an overactive imagination, but still, SCARY!
This book is told in the same vein as the movie, like it's a true story, which makes it fun. I knew I wasn't going to get them, but I did want more answers to the mystery! Nothing gets solved, which I expected, but I still wish for answers.
This was a fun time, a little scary at times, but fun! If you like The Blair Witch Project and want more, read it.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5
Stay Away From the Black Hill's Forest!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment