Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Review: The High Season by Judy Blundell


Title: The High Season
Author: Judy Blundell
Published by: Random House
Released: May 22, 2018
Source: Review Copy provided by Random House and BookishFirst

Summary: It's the start of summer in the Hamptons. The rich are packing their vacation bags and heading to the beach. The year round residents are getting ready for the influx of the upper crust.
The only way Ruthie can afford her beautiful home on the Bay is by renting it out ever summer season. She's constantly tip-toeing around very opinionated rich women who don't like to be told no.
This summer might be a challenge that even Ruthie can't handle. Her lovely home and life on the Bay will never be the same.
My Thoughts: I was lucky enough to win an early copy for honest review from BookishFirst and Random House. Thank you, Thank you. I was super excited to get the chance to read it. This book just screams Perfect Summer Beach Read. I love the cover, it's pretty.
I thought it was an okay book, but I didn't love it. I didn't really like or enjoy any of the characters. I found some of them made really dumb choices, and others were just unpleasant.
I was supposed to feel bad for Ruthie, but I was just meh. I felt bad about her house and what happened with her loser husband, but that's maybe it. I feel like she didn't respect some people, or their things, and she played the victim.
I didn't understand the point of Doe's character and why her POV was included. To me, she was the type of person that was like a parasite. She profited off of hanging around the rich and looking for her way in. She just didn't feel genuine. She wasn't the nicest to her mother. I just wasn't a fan of her character.
I also feel like there were no consequences for characters' actions. There was a guy that should have gone to prison for what he did, but he didn't get in trouble at all.
I mean it was good for petty backstabbing. And being the stereotypical story of rich white people being rich white people. I do enjoy these books from time to time.
The writing was good in this and I read it pretty quickly.
This was just an okay read for me. It didn't blow me away, but it was fine for what it was. I think it's definitely a good beach read. I'd recommend it to people who like fiction stories about the rich and famous. I wish I had connected with the characters more. I also wish the ending hadn't felt like this way to tidy everything up without settling any of the conflicts. Maybe the ending was the grown-up way of dealing with things, but when is that way fun? Thanks to BookishFirst and Random House for giving me the opportunity to read The High Season early for honest review.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.3/5
Rich White People being Rich White People

No comments:

Post a Comment