Friday, May 28, 2021

Reading Right Now! (298)

 What I'm Reading Right Now! is...


The Project by Courtney Summers -- A book that I've been looking forward to for the longest time! I read and loved Sadie, so my hopes for The Project were pretty high. I'm almost 250 pages in and I don't know how to feel. This one isn't the gut punch that Sadie was. It's almost like I'm watching an episode of Dateline and Keith Morrison is sitting there interviewing these people, saying, "And then what happened?" The story is pretty crazy, but I don't get that visceral, shocking feel from it. It's like, hmmm interesting. Do you know what I mean? It's not Sadie. I know I keep saying that, but that's what I feel.
This is about a cult run by a man named Lev. It's a religious cult. Lev feels like he has been chosen by God to save and lead the redeemed. His people go out into the communities and are redeemed by doing good work. Personally, I would have run the other way as soon as he said God chose him and the only way to be saved was through him (Lev). I'm not here for the false prophets.
Anyway, our story centers around two sisters, Lo and Bea. Their parents are killed in an automobile accident and Lo is seriously injured. Bea doesn't know what to do, and that's where she first meets Lev. Once Bea meets Lev, Lo never sees her sister again. Lo recovers from the accident, but it was touch and go, they thought she might die. She's left with a very noticeable scar on her face and a longing for her sister, who has been swallowed up by the project. Lo gets a job with a magazine publication (I think) and decides to make her writing debut by investigating Lev, The Project, and hopefully finding her sister.
It's an interesting story, but it is not as exciting as the story Summers wrote before with Sadie. I'm also not a fan of politics being brought up a couple times, I just find it annoying because not every reader has the same political view as the author. The writing is good. I'm also unsure of why this is YA. This could have easily been sold as an adult book. Lo is 19 maybe. There are some sexual situations that are more artfully explained.
I rambled too much. I like it, but it's just not the book I thought it was going to be.
 
And that's what I'm Reading Right Now! What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment