Thursday, March 31, 2016

Review: Dark Tide by Elizabeth Haynes


Title: Dark Tide
Author: Elizabeth Haynes
Published by: HARPER
Released: 2013
Summary: Genevieve is happy to let the past be the past. She's living her dream on the Medway River. She calls a boat her home, and is fixing it up to be the best houseboat ever. On the night of her boat-warming party, a body washes up beside her boat. The body of an old friend from her pole dancing past. With her secrets threatening to be discovered, Genevieve must keep her wits about her and look out for the dangers that are on their way towards her.
My Thoughts: I love a good mystery/thriller. It's one of my guilty reading pleasures. So I was intrigued to find Dark Tide at my library, and reading the synopsis just wanted to make me check it out even more. I rather enjoyed Dark Tide. Not all the elements of it were fantastic, but I loved the way Elizabeth Haynes can tell a story. I loved the writing style of this book. It was so easy to read and get lost in the story. I also found the aspect of boat life really interesting. Choosing a boat as one's house, a boat that doesn't leave the river harbor, just added an extra bit to the story.
In the grand scheme of things, nothing really happened in the story. I mean obviously something went down, but I don't think it was big enough for all the build up that preceded it. I enjoyed the story, but the thrills and chills weren't in it enough for me. I also really felt ambivalent towards Genevieve's character. She didn't really think things through in life and didn't always make the smartest decisions. These included just why she had to buy a boat, what she was going to do after her year of fixing up the boat, and why she didn't tell the police she recognized the victim as her friend Caddy.
I also wasn't the biggest fan of the women's empowerment pole dancing angle. Genevieve always tried to paint her pole dancing history in this rosy glow, focusing on the exercise her body was getting from pole dancing and how much she enjoyed it. I, as the reader, was just picturing the reality of her dancing for skeevy men for money. Genevieve also got herself into a majority of her troubles through bad decision making and questionable life choices.
Sorry about my rant there, I enjoyed Dark Tide and thought it was a completely okay read. I did have some things that irked me about the book, but not enough for me to dislike it. It was an okay book with an okay story. I did really enjoy Elizabeth Hayne's writing style though. If you're in to mystery/thrillers, then go check Dark Tide out.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5
She's On A Boat!

No comments:

Post a Comment