Thursday, June 16, 2016

Review: Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1) by Jessica Spotswood

Title: Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1)
Author: Jessica Spotswood
Published by: G.P. Putnam's Sons
Released: 2012
Summary: When Cate's mother died, she made a promise to do everything she could to protect her sisters. That's proving to be a challenge, when Cate lives in a 20th century where women are second class citizens, and all three Cahill girls are witches. They must keep their powers a secret from everyone. If the Brotherhood finds out their secret, then the girls could be separated and sent to the Harwood Asylum or worse. With Cate's 17th birthday approaching, she must decide what to do with her life. She really only has two choices, marry or join the Sisters. With the Cahill secret in peril, Cate must do whatever she can to keep her family safe.
My Thoughts: I've had my eye on this book for awhile, and was glad to finally get my hands on it. I really enjoyed every minute of this book and am so glad I got to read it. I loved Spotswood's writing style. I was pretty much hooked from the first sentence. The writing just really drew me into the story. There are some books one just knows they are going to love based on the first paragraph, this book was one of those for me.
I really enjoyed the historical feel to the book, even though it wasn't a history based on absolute truth. The role of women was so interesting to read about, and as a girl, I was glad I wasn't born in this world. Having to choose what to do with your life at 17 was crazy! And the options offered of either marriage or the Sisterhood were just too limited. The Brotherhood was an interesting group and enjoyable villains. The Sisterhood is still a bit of a mystery, but I'm intrigued to find out more.
And the romance le sigh. This is definitely more of a girl book based on the butterfly inducing romance. I wasn't too sure what to think of the boys at first. I wasn't sure if McLeod was sincere in his intentions. And when we first met Finn, I wasn't sure if he was leading man material. He seemed kind of nerdy at first, but I believed in his hotness in the end.
This is a great witchy, romancey, historical book, and I enjoyed every minute of it. I can't wait to read the sequel because that ending just didn't leave much room for waiting.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
Witchy and Great!

No comments:

Post a Comment