Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Top 5 Wednesday: Top 5 Favorite Literary Fathers/Father Figures

This week's Top 5 Wednesday is all about Dear Old Dad. Oh how we love him. And since Father's Day is around the corner, it's the perfect time to recognize some of our favorite book Fathers. Fathers can be kind of hard to find in books, especially in YA books. So here are some of my Top 5 Favorite Literary Fathers/Father Figures. The guys I picked might not all be the best men, but I felt that they all had good qualities and really cared about their family. Here are my picks!

  
 


5. Grandfather Veturius from An Ember in the Ashes
I'm having sort of mixed feelings about this book. I think it's kind of hard to find "Good Guy" authority figures. Elias' family is also all kinds of messed up. I picked Elias Grandfather because he really cares about Elias. While reading, I can sense the love there. Does he love him only because he was picked for the Blackcliff school to become a Mask? I don't know. The world these people live in is hard to understand, but I can sense that Grandpa Veturius has a lot of pride in his grandson. He took him in when he found out he had a grandson. So there's love there, love that goes both ways. That's why he makes it on my list.
4. Anna's Dad in the Altered saga
Anna's Dad in the Altered series wasn't the most honest and didn't tell her the truth from the start, but in his own way, he cared about her. He was someone that Anna could turn to when she needed help and he'd been a constant in her life. He didn't always make the best decisions, but I think he did what he could to protect Anna.
3. Arthur Weasley from Harry Potter
I love Arthur Weasley. He's the dad that you can be semi-embarrassed of, but the love for him is real. He shows a lot of love to all his children, he does everything he can to support them, and he's always there for them. Arthur Weasley offers a great example as a stable father, which can be hard to find in YA literature.
2. Alyssa's Dad in the Splintered trilogy
This is not my favorite series by a longshot, but it does offer a good example of a caring father. He's left in the dark most of the time, but he cares about Alyssa and what's best for her. I like having literary fathers that are there for their kids, that step up, that are responsible, that support them in whatever they do. So many literary father figures are absent, or they leave, or they are just not nice guys. Alyssa's dad is a nice guy and she really needs to treat him better.
1. Charlie in Twilight
I always loved Charlie in Twilight, both movie and book version. I loved the relationship that he was able to form with Bella through the course of the 4 books. They cared about each other and it was a nice relationship to see depicted. I also think Charlie had a tough go with Renee leaving and moving away. Bella felt that she had to go with her mother because her mother needed the most help. Charlie was left to fend for himself and I imagine was pretty lonely. I really enjoyed the journey of their father daughter relationship, how they started off awkward, but then really grew to depend on one another. Charlie was just a dependable, stable, loving father. He was a winner in my book!

So those are my Top 5 Favorite Literary Father/Father Figures. Who are your Top 5? Fathers' are amazing. In recognition of this coming up father's day, give your father (or father figure) a big hug, they deserve it. If you want to join in on the Top 5 Wednesday fun, you totally should! Each Wednesday is a new, fun topic to contemplate and consider. Check out all the other Top 5 Wednesday-ers Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment