Thursday, September 15, 2016

Review: Walk On Earth A Stranger (Gold Seer Trilogy #1) by Rae Carson

Title: Walk On Earth A Stranger (Gold Seer Trilogy #1)
Author: Rae Carson
Published by: Greenwillow Books
Released: 2015
Source: Library

Summary: Leah Westfall has a secret talent, a talent that must remain hidden for her family's safety. She can hear the call of gold. When gold is near, it will prick at her senses, and lead her to it like a beacon. Keeping it hidden seems like the best way to lead a normal-ish life. Her normal-ish life is turned upside down when tragedy strikes her family. She makes a decision that she can't stay in Georgia, and with the California Gold Rush reaching a fevered pitch, Leah decides to make her way there. She joins up with a wagon train heading to California. The journey is exciting, dangerous, and really just beginning.
My Thoughts: This book was great! I enjoyed reading it so much. It gave me a lot of nostalgia vibes, made me remember my childhood reading Little House on the Prairie books. I find wagon trains and the pioneers that traveled in them across the country just fascinating. I've always enjoyed history, I think it make me appreciate living in the time that I do. Life was so hard back then, death seemed to be more present. This book would be perfect for a history fan, someone that enjoys a romp through a fictional past.
When I first picked this book up, I thought I was going to get a Western. I don't really know why I thought that, but I did. So I was kind of surprised that this was a pioneer read, I just wasn't expecting that. It doesn't have that rough and tumble vibe of a Western, but it does deliver on a very exciting, journey story.
Leah's ability also doesn't play as big an impact as I thought it would. Her ability is definitely important, but it's not the sole focus of the story. I'm interested to see where things go with that angle.
As soon as I read the first paragraph, I was swept into the story. I loved it, didn't want to put it down. I'd never read anything by Rae Carson before, but I'm definitely going to be reading more now. I just loved her writing. The best kind of story, to me, is the one that's fun to read. Getting swept up in a book is the best feeling, and this one did that for me.
If I was going to offer up any criticism, it's that this book didn't really have an ending. I get it, that this book is only the first in a journey, and it definitely felt that way. I really can't wait to see what happens next.
This book was so good. I really enjoyed every moment of it. I can't wait to see where it goes next, what happens next, and how much gold Leah will find in California. I recommend this one for sure, a lot of fun and worth the read.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4.2/5
Loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment